Jar Experts?

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I went to an old town-site near where I live, Friday. The town was started in the 1870s and died out in the early 1900s (PO gone in 1902, but still on the 1918 maps...)
Anyway, I couldn't stay there long, because there was poison-ivy all over the place, but I did dig some targets and I DID get some surface-finds. These surface finds were clear, glass jars, except one milk glass Pond's container.
I'm hoping someone knows something about these, as I am curious and can only find limited info...
On the bottoms, the two bigger ones (8" tall) have the same 'Design Patent D-86565' and a mark like an O transposed on a horizontal diamond. The other (similar) 6" one has 'Design Patd 5364-5' and an HA symbol, the 4.5" (different style) one says 5416 14 also HA, and the small 2" one is a Pond's (milk glass?) oval jar w/embossed 'PONDS' on the metal lid and molded into the bottom.
Thanks for any help folks!
Keep digging it!
John Swanwick Bottles 05-08-20.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 7
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool finds in good shape, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The O in a diamond is most likely an Owens Illinois glass company mark dating from after 1929...that said, it may indicate the dump you were in is a later one, based on other glass there...maybe 1935-50.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds!

OP
OP
C

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The O in a diamond is most likely an Owens Illinois glass company mark dating from after 1929...that said, it may indicate the dump you were in is a later one, based on other glass there...maybe 1935-50.

I was thinking they were later, but IDK why that would be, because the town SHOULD have been gone by then, though maybe someone stayed later and just left what they couldn't move easily? I was hoping to find some old coins or relics, but I'm not going to be able to hunt it properly, because the poison ivy was SO thick, IDT it's a good place for someone like me who is allergic...
Thanks for the replies!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can Those are some nice bottles Im not good with IDs on them but Ive found some bottle dumps they always seem to be lots of other good stuff in there but with all the poison IVY not a good idea for you, but those would be nice display pieces of the History of the town that was once there.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anytime you find glass, it reminds us of a bygone era. Those jars are better than finding plastic, or aluminum cans that's for sure.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of glassware.

Just a few comments here. A design patent number does not necessarily tell you what was in a jar or bottle. It only tells you who owned the design. It may be the glass manufacturer who owns it and the jars or bottles may be generically sold to whoever wants to use them and for whatever (suitable) purpose; or it may be owned by the end-user, having been specifically commissioned for their sole use.

For example the D86565 jar design patent was held by the Owens Illinois Glass company of Ohio and filed on 8th January 1932. It’s not correct to say that “D-86565 = honey jelly jam ~1943”. That info came from someone’s Google search leading to an eBay seller who was indicating it to be a jar generically suitable for honey/jelly/jam and guessing its date.

Also, when searching patent numbers its important to get the format right, otherwise you get the wrong answer. US design patents have a series of digits preceeded by a ‘D’ and utility patents don’t have that letter. Neither contain hyphens, so ‘5364-5' is not a valid registration number. Design patent D53645 is for a hand-stamping device and D5364 is something for sharpening fish-hooks. Utility patent 53645 is a soap mould and 5364 relates to horseshoes. The same issues apply to 5416 14.

Jars and bottles frequently have an assortment of marks that relate to a maker, his plants or production lines, his moulds and pattern numbers, his patents and sometimes his production dates. Within that, the arrangement of the marks, spacing or punctuation and the font styles (including the possibilities of things like mistaking S for 5 or I for 1) are key to determining which marks relate to what. For that reason, it’s always better to actually show the marks rather than try to describe them.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions