Jarbidge Treasure

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Just researched a story about robbery in Jarbidge NV. Story went man shot stage driver $3000 not found bad guy gets out of jail and killed by car on his way back to Jarbidge to get the money. Metal detector would be a good way to find the money.

NOW the real story. Three people in on the robbery $3k in cash. Probably not buried. If it was one of the two who got out of jail first could have picked up the money first. What would be left to paper money after 100 years? Oh yes I about forgot a little fact. The guy didn’t get hit by a car on his way to Jarbidge. His name was Kuhl. He died in SF from TB. Treasure stories have a way of not matching reality.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How would a man who robbed a stage coach get hit by a car anyway? Maybe train car?

OP
OP
E

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
He spent about 25-30 years in jail. He was to hang but they didn't.

OP
OP
E

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Nevada Archives said cash. My point in this story is most treasure stories miss the mark. A very small amount of truth and a lot of junk. I have looked for others in NV and found nothing in the records to support what you read in most of these treasure articles.

Ahunter

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
It takes serious research efforts to find the truth...and then it takes an attitude of, "Oh, well. One down - twentyfive million stories to go!". I never start out trying to prove a story is true. I always try to disprove it. If I can't disprove it, then that's the one I am going to search for!

OP
OP
E

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Ahunter
Your right. you need the attitude this is all false. Prove me wrong.

I spent a few days around Duck Water NV on a story. It was 100 degrees in the shade. Dog sick my nose would not stop bleeding. Decided to go north to the Toscarora district above Elko. On the way in a prospector told me about a treasure story. I didn’t tell him I knew about it and was looking in to it. After spending a couple days in the area I came to the conclusion this story had a lot of holes in it. Went to the news paper as the article said to look for the story about the treasure. Guess what! The paper never had 1864 copies of the paper. The museum also did not. I found a copy in the historical society. As one would expect no such article in the paper. Thanks to the staff in Ekco they did some research for me and came up with nothing at all relating to the treasure story. Yet this prospector who lived in town passed the story on as true because he read it some place. Again the moral of the story don’t put any faith in what you read.

OP
OP
E

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
Hear is what I ran into doing some work in NV.
Did a lot of work on this story. Will bring up date from other thread

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread