North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
a new member (ward) sent me a PM and was asking about jasper scrapers
here's a few
i hope someone else has a few
i bet old digger man from montana has some colorful ones he would be so kind to post
also i know that TWitco has some good ones.......right kelly? IMG_0970.jpg

Upvote 0

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
So we have jasper here as well. I guess it's found all over. I've got points of it but no scrapers I can think of.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
So we have jasper here as well. I guess it's found all over. I've got points of it but no scrapers I can think of.

a few jasper, KRF and one quartzite scraper

i think i have only one jasper arrow point

i would like to see your points though
post them here if you are able

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have pretty much given away most of my good jasper pieces. But here are a few.

folder 3 003.JPG Allen Point (red/yellow jasper)

folder 3 002.JPG Thumb Scraper (yellow jasper)

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find some red and yellow jasper in Ohio but its rare.

wardcheney

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2013
Eastern MA (part of me still on plains of CO)
Primary Interest:
Other
(The first post of this just up and disappeared. Not sure what I did wrong. Maybe someone else is scratching his/her head.) Nice photograph, Steve, neat collection of scrapers. I clicked on the photo and the bigger image has a lot of good detail. All of them are fine to look at. There's one in particular that jumped out. The X formed by two crossed diagonal rows . . . from center scraper, row going toward top right corner of the frame . . . third scraper in that row, counting from the center scraper . . . darkest color. There's very nice polish on that one.

I'm surprised you find so many. Is your area known for camps? Any bison kill sites in the area?

There's something wonderful about scrapers.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
a few jasper, KRF and one quartzite scraper

i think i have only one jasper arrow point

i would like to see your points though
post them here if you are able

IMG_1275.jpg this is the image that i forgot to post on my post #3....the yellow one on the top left is the older style
these scrapers with the graver spurs on the right and left corners of the working edge are older than the scrapers with the rounded leading edge

Attachments

• IMG_4358.jpg
    IMG_4358.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
(The first post of this just up and disappeared. Not sure what I did wrong. Maybe someone else is scratching his/her head.) Nice photograph, Steve, neat collection of scrapers. I clicked on the photo and the bigger image has a lot of good detail. All of them are fine to look at. There's one in particular that jumped out. The X formed by two crossed diagonal rows . . . from center scraper, row going toward top right corner of the frame . . . third scraper in that row, counting from the center scraper . . . darkest color. There's very nice polish on that one.

I'm surprised you find so many. Is your area known for camps? Any bison kill sites in the area?

There's something wonderful about scrapers.

thanks ward
i find these on a 30+ acre site that i have been taking care of since 1986
my friend owns the site and twitko helps run a tractor with me and puts a lot of time and fuel to help me
it is not hard to find 5 scrapers in 30 minutes
i remember about 15 years ago we had so many and they were so prolific that we stopped picking them up unless they were really nice examples
i don't know where there are any buffalo jumps around
this site is easily ove 5000 years old as we find pelican lake, duncan, hanna, etc styles as well as others

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
another frame with a few jasper, but also agate, KRF, pet wood, chert etc for your perusal IMG_0040.jpg
hope you like

wardcheney

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2013
Eastern MA (part of me still on plains of CO)
Primary Interest:
Other
Six years ago I'd never heard of a scraper or graver. Never heard of KRF, Trout Creek jasper. Just beautiful. In Massachusetts, not a single source of stone this quality.

It's probably not just me . . . I suspect people who use tools a lot naturally connect with things like these scrapers. Gotta respect those folks five-, ten-thousand-years ago.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My wife and I have found our share of jasper in RI. It was long felt that our jasper came from Pa., but in the 90's, prehistoric workings were found in northern RI, where gold and brown colored jasper visually indistinguishable from Pa. Jasper has long been known and collected by mineral hunters. It's known as Limerock jasper, after a nearby location and limestone quarry that has been in operation since the 1640's. Pa.jasper was imported here, but the brown and gold shades are just as likely Limerock jasper, used in Paleo times and into Woodland. They did not waste jasper here. Seems like every flake I find of jasper has been retouched or is a flake tool or utilized flake.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Six years ago I'd never heard of a scraper or graver. Never heard of KRF, Trout Creek jasper. Just beautiful. In Massachusetts, not a single source of stone this quality.

It's probably not just me . . . I suspect people who use tools a lot naturally connect with things like these scrapers. Gotta respect those folks five-, ten-thousand-years ago.

Welcome to he forum, wardcheney. Jasper is rare, but not that rare to find, in Ma. Most probably was sourced in Pa., but the Limerock jasper workings were used as early as Paleo times, and was located in northeast RI, right on the border with Ma.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I have found our share of jasper in RI. It was long felt that our jasper came from Pa., but in the 90's, prehistoric workings were found in northern RI, where gold and brown colored jasper visually indistinguishable from Pa. Jasper has long been known and collected by mineral hunters. It's known as Limerock jasper, after a nearby location and limestone quarry that has been in operation since the 1640's. Pa.jasper was imported here, but the brown and gold shades are just as likely Limerock jasper, used in Paleo times and into Woodland. They did not waste jasper here. Seems like every flake I find of jasper has been retouched or is a flake tool or utilized flake.

Welcome to he forum, wardcheney. Jasper is rare, but not that rare to find, in Ma. Most probably was sourced in Pa., but the Limerock jasper workings were used as early as Paleo times, and was located in northeast RI, right on the border with Ma.

hey charl thanks much
the center image reminds me of one of the colors of jasper we find in north dakota ,south dakota, and like old dennis the digger man finds in west central montana

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some nice looking scrapers rite there.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Jasper looks like peanut butter and honey. Very nice. I am always pleased to find a good thumb scraper. They are the most under rated tool out there. Frame up nice. What a show,,,,,

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
That Jasper looks like peanut butter and honey. Very nice. I am always pleased to find a good thumb scraper. They are the most under rated tool out there. Frame up nice. What a show,,,,,

001.JPG
found this cache about a month ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
a few more jasper, agate, pet wood, KRF, one moss agate, few white pet wood, few TRSS, 3rd image center is a rainy butte silicified wood piece

IMG_2083.jpg IMG_1160.jpg IMG_1161.jpg IMG_1149.jpg IMG_1150.jpg IMG_1158.jpg IMG_1159.jpg IMG_1140.jpg IMG_1141.jpg IMG_1143.jpg IMG_0861.jpg IMG_0859.jpg IMG_0582.jpg IMG_1276.jpg IMG_2228.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions