Jasper

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have posted more than one photo. Sorry. Jasper 001.JPG Jasper 012.JPG Jasper 007.JPG Jasper 005.JPG

Upvote 0

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the base of a larger point.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine work on that. Look like an old break. Nice artifact Jersey Girl.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice color on that piece

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i really like jasper that is a cool piece.....must be more in that area..i bet you will find more next time you visit

we have some pretty jasper here also.......some red. green,and some different shades of brown with black spots on some

i like your piece.......i think jasper musta been nice to have back in the day

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. It is my favorite thing to find and the points are the most beautiful, at least in this area. We also have some very deep red Jasper. Just beautiful. I am wondering if it is found here in Jersey or was it brought here. I am going to look that up!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you. It is my favorite thing to find and the points are the most beautiful, at least in this area. We also have some very deep red Jasper. Just beautiful. I am wondering if it is found here in Jersey or was it brought here. I am going to look that up!

yup you know mr old digger and mrs old digger have some beautiful bright yellow and some cool gray jasper with white stripes......

........but the coolest jasper i have seen is the yellow jasper that the old diggers find from montana.....except for the one time we found some 3 scrapers made from spider vein jasper

i gave one to my friend in texas and still have the other two

red jasper that the old diggers found in montana.......i don't mean to clutter up your thread but this subject of jasper makes me think of this one

IMG_0147.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, from what I can find, Jasper came from Pa.. Many miles away for the Lenni Lenape here in New Jersey. Amazing really.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty stone! I've read that jasper is found somewhere here in NC, but I don't know where. But I have two small tools made of jasper of about the same color you're showing that I found here in NC. Otherwise jasper doesn't show up here very often. Thanks for showing.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting Find! Looks like you have some potential for more finds in your hunting area.
The material in your piece looks different than the ''Jasper'' that I have found here in Montana. The Jasper that I have is not opaque, (It will not allow light to shine through). When zooming in on the first photo your piece tends to look more like a flint type material, but of coarse I could be wrong. The ''Jasper'' in your area may be quite different.

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not an expert for sure, but we have always called these artifacts Jasper. The one I found yesterday is a nice chestnut brown, and if I look closely it has very fine veins of Quartz? running through it. I have points made from this kind. Maybe we should take some photos of the different Jasper from different areas. Would make a nice thread. Don't ya think? And I have been to Montana many times and always wanted to hunt there. But impossible if you do not know where to begin. I will take a couple of photos of the different colors that I have . Have one nice one with the clear Quarts like running through it.

OP
OP
O

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For you Old Digger. I am not sure that the one with the curved point is Jasper. Just does not see shiney enough. But here are some photos of a few that I have found. jasper 003.JPG jasper 007.JPG jasper 012.JPG jasper 013.JPG jasper 016.JPG jasper 025.JPG

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jasper is only a term that refers to chert that has taken on color from minerals in the surrounding ground water and soil.. It makes perfect sense that comes in many colors in many different areas with different levels of silica making it more translucent in some cases

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a nice chunk of jasper! The other pieces are nice as well. I live very near an old Jasper mine and still find mostly Quartzite. Since you asked, here are a few pieces from Warren co, VA. The last pic is a large Jasper core.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few examples of colors that I have found.

Folder # 3 008.JPG (Yellow's, and a rare green)

Here is a small specimen of red jasper.

Folder # 3 009.JPG

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice chunk of jasper! The other pieces are nice as well. I live very near an old Jasper mine and still find mostly Quartzite. Since you asked, here are a few pieces from Warren co, VA. The last pic is a large Jasper core.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That piece in your fifth photo with the lined markings sure is a dandy. :icon_thumright: It would look fantastic cut and polished for a necklace.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions