Jerrys sword.

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Jerry's sword.

My friend Jerry asked me to post his best find ever. Its a sword and scabbard he dug up at the Cape May, NJ point area. He said it was only about 3 inches deep in the sand. There are no markings on the sword or scabbard. It appears to be hand made. The handle has two pieces of wood on each side. Does anybody have any ideas on the identity of this sword and possible value? Here's some pictures of it with and without the scabbard. Thanks a lot.

Sword in scabbard:
Jerry\'s sword 001.jpg

Sword and scabbard:
Jerry\'s sword 002.jpg

Sword in hand:
Jerry\'s sword 003.jpg

Close up of handle:
Jerry\'s sword 004.jpg

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Jerry's sword.

dang........................

HH
-GC

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.

I looked at The Civil War Relicman's website,and he has a very similar one for sale there. He is asking $750! His is a Dragoon Saber,contracted in 1818 from Starr. Your saber blade looks shorter than its scabbard,even though the scabbard looks like the right one. I would guess that your saber was broken at some time,and the tip was reshaped and sharpened. Look up The Civil War Relicman to see if you agree that it is the same one.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

JD, I agree that's really similar... only some very subtle differences... (besides the one here missing about four inches of of the blade, as you pointed out). I think this is the link JD referenced, for further opinion: http://www.relicman.com/w0695.htm

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Thanks for the info and link guys. I'll pass it on the Jerry. I'm sure he'll be happy to hear it. But, knowing him, he'll probably just hang the sword up in his garage. Thanks again.
Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread