Jesus and treasure hunting

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
Reading Matthew 13:44-46 Jesus explain one of the many Parables that he told during his short live in this planet, one of the most interesting stories that captivated in myself as treasure hunter is the Parable of "The buried treasure". Certainly He tried to explain the spiritual side of this Parable but if you search the true behind that story, Jesus always explained a Parable in base of some true story that somebody lived or happened in real live.

The Parable say:

13:44 “The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure, hidden in a field, that a person found and hid. Then because of joy he went and sold all that he had and bought that field.

According with this statement the person who found the treasure was a treasure hunter searching for some buried treasure in that field and he cameback to get some money to buy that lot where he found it, so the treasure hunting hobby exist since before Jesus time. Jesus didn't explain how the treasure hunter found the buried treasure, what kind of tools was used or map to locate it. Since no metal detector were invented in that time, I think only with map and hard work you could be able to locate a hidden treasure in that time which it was one of the spiritual base of Jesus to teach Parables of the Kingdom of Heaven. For me this is a good treasure lead story.Amen

Architecad

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Isaiah 45:3-6 (New Living Translation)

3 And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness—
secret riches.
I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord,
the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name.

4 “And why have I called you for this work?
Why did I call you by name when you did not know me?
It is for the sake of Jacob my servant,
Israel my chosen one.
5 I am the Lord;
there is no other God.
I have equipped you for battle,
though you don’t even know me,
6 so all the world from east to west
will know there is no other God.
I am the Lord, and there is no other.

My understanding is there is so many treasures to be found around the world even the bible let you know.

Thanks for your reply

Architecad

tesoro dog

May 31, 2007
Thank you architecad for this thread!!! And thank you too Shiloh for Isaiah!! And you are RIGHT ON architecad,, about it being buried all over the world!!! OUR LORDS PEACE TO YOU BOTH!! td

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
architecad said:
Isaiah 45:3-6 (New Living Translation)

3 And I will give you treasures hidden in the darkness—
secret riches.
I will do this so you may know that I am the Lord,
the God of Israel, the one who calls you by name.

4 “And why have I called you for this work?
Why did I call you by name when you did not know me?
It is for the sake of Jacob my servant,
Israel my chosen one.
5 I am the Lord;
there is no other God.
I have equipped you for battle,
though you don’t even know me,
6 so all the world from east to west
will know there is no other God.
I am the Lord, and there is no other.

My understanding is there is so many treasures to be found around the world even the bible let you know.

Thanks for your reply

Architecad
Dear group;
Let's step away from the KJV translation for a moment and examine one particular verse and it's meaning in the Latin Vulgate.
Isaias 45:5
ego Dominus et non est amplius extra me non est deus accinxi te et non cognovisti me
Which, when translated into modern English, means:
I am God and there is no other, there is no [other] God beside me, I have girded you [I have prepared you or or equipped you or given you that which you need] [and yet] you did not know me

Someone asked me for clarification pretaining to this particular passage, and that is what it means, as far as I am able to translate it. The passage does not necessarily mean that God equipped someone for battle, although KJV scholars mistakenly assumed that was the implacation of the passage.
Your friend;
LAMAR

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lamar, why not go to the Hebrew for translation, instead of Latin... since Latin wasn't the language that the original documents were written in?

Bran <><

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
godisnum1 said:
Lamar, why not go to the Hebrew for translation, instead of Latin... since Latin wasn't the language that the original documents were written in?

Bran <><
Dear Godisnum1;
And how do you know that it was originally written in Hebrew, my friend? Although the odds are very good that Isaisas was written in Hebrew, the point is that the translation from Hebrew into Latin or Greek is a correct translation, my friend. The problem arose in that the scholars mistranslated the Koine Greek (and Latin too) into English, therefore the KJV mostly corrupted, as can be plainly denoted from the above post.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear godisnum1;
Since you've requested it, here is Isiah 45:5-6:
(4)אֲנִי יְהוָה וְאֵין עוֹד, זוּלָתִי אֵין אֱלֹהִים; אֲאַזֶּרְךָ, וְלֹא יְדַעְתָּנִי.
(5) לְמַעַן יֵדְעוּ, מִמִּזְרַח-שֶׁמֶשׁ וּמִמַּעֲרָבָה, כִּי-אֶפֶס, בִּלְעָדָי: אֲנִי יְהוָה, וְאֵין עוֹד.

And the translation:
5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, beside Me there is no God; I have girded thee, though thou hast not known Me;
6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside Me; I am the LORD; and there is none else;

Once more, there was NO assumption that anyone was being prepared for any sort of battle, my friend. Is this better for you?
Your friend;
LAMAR

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lamar said:
Dear Godisnum1;
And how do you know that it was originally written in Hebrew, my friend? Although the odds are very good that Isaisas was written in Hebrew, the point is that the translation from Hebrew into Latin or Greek is a correct translation, my friend. The problem arose in that the scholars mistranslated the Koine Greek (and Latin too) into English, therefore the KJV mostly corrupted, as can be plainly denoted from the above post.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Well, I suppose I don't, since I wasn't there... but those that were there when it was written, the Jews, still have all the documentation that one should ever need (when referring to the OT portion of the Scriptures). I won't get into the Latin Vulgate, except to say that it's not what's in it that was corrupt, but the teaching that's come from it, as no one originally were able to have the Scripture in their own language... leaving the "interpretation" to those that could, or were "able" to read it (i.e. the priests)
Let's just say that the interpretation wasn't always the most "consistent"

I will not say that the English (even KJV) is the most accurate translation ever (I don't believe you can say the same about the Latin Vulgate - well you can, but I don't believe that would be an accurate statement)... because there were certain words that were not able to be translated from the Greek & Hebrew into English, because we don't have sufficient words to take the place of them. The same is likely to be said for any language you're trying to translate into, because those two original languages are very unique. To say that the KJV is "mostly corrupt" would not be an accurate statement in the least bit, even if you are able to bring a few examples out of the Bible as a whole. Also, I hope you realize that above, when you said, "Let's step away from the KJV translation", he was quoting from the NLT. :dontknow:

Anyway man, I don't claim to know it all. Never have, and never will make that claim. :)

Bran <><

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
lamar said:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><
Dear Godisnum1;
Your friend;
LAMAR

Well we dont know it all but luckily we have many hand written scripts of both hebrew and Greek which many of match perfectly with the manuscripts that had been written and rewritten and passed through generations. The Dead Sea Scrolls are a fantastic discovery. Being treasure hunters we should appreciate such a find. Scholars would have had to mistranslate many copies, which is impossible because they were not all together in the same locations. There wasnt one copy that they took things from. These copies had already made it around the present day middle east, and even up into southern europe. Therefore, to be accurate and consistent in more than one language (la Reina Valera, The latin Vulgate, The KJV, The majority texts Greek New Testament, all match in unison.) With the exception of language translations and the added books of the Vulgate because the Pope forced the translator to add them. I have the Greek Majority text in my office. And i can read it. It matches pretty darn good with the KJV, NASB, NIV, NET, (you name it V) and i haven't had any big qualms. But like brandon said, i dont have all the answers.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear godisnum1;
You wrote;
I won't get into the Latin Vulgate, except to say that it's not what's in it that was corrupt, but the teaching that's come from it, as no one originally were able to have the Scripture in their own language... leaving the "interpretation" to those that could, or were "able" to read it (i.e. the priests)
Let's just say that the interpretation wasn't always the most "consistent"

No, that's incorrect my friend. Firstly, when the Bible was first translated into Latin, it was the most widely spoken language in the known Western world, much like English is today.

Next, the Roman Catholic Church has never had a problem with translating the Bible into any vernicular language, therefore your prior statement seems to be incorrect. As an FYI,the Douay-Rheims Bible, which is the English translation of the Latin Vulgate, was first published by the Vatican press in 1582 AD, whereas the King James Bible was not published until 1611AD, some 29 YEARS after the Douay-Rheims was published, therefore English only speakers had ample access to the Holy Bible in English long before the KJV was ever dreamt up.

It would be appreciated if one were to actually research the historical facts of the matter instead of reciting age-old Reformation accusations. I've refuted this same claim so often that I have the publishing dates of the Douay-Rheims and the KJV committed to memory, my friend, if thie says anything about how time-worn and baseless that particular accusation is.
Your friend;
LAMAR

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
yournewneighbor said:
lamar said:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><
Dear Godisnum1;
Your friend;
LAMAR

Well we dont know it all but luckily we have many hand written scripts of both hebrew and Greek which many of match perfectly with the manuscripts that had been written and rewritten and passed through generations. The Dead Sea Scrolls are a fantastic discovery. Being treasure hunters we should appreciate such a find. Scholars would have had to mistranslate many copies, which is impossible because they were not all together in the same locations. There wasnt one copy that they took things from. These copies had already made it around the present day middle east, and even up into southern europe. Therefore, to be accurate and consistent in more than one language (la Reina Valera, The latin Vulgate, The KJV, The majority texts Greek New Testament, all match in unison.) With the exception of language translations and the added books of the Vulgate because the Pope forced the translator to add them. I have the Greek Majority text in my office. And i can read it. It matches pretty darn good with the KJV, NASB, NIV, NET, (you name it V) and i haven't had any big qualms. But like brandon said, i dont have all the answers.
Dear yournewneighbor;
Yes the Dead Sea Scrolls were a fantastic discovery! I am especially intriqued with the Copper Scroll. It seems that it very well may be the world's only verifibly authentic treasure map, my friend! Exciting to say the least!
Your friend;
LAMAR

yournewneighbor

Feb 1, 2010
ventura
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
lamar said:
yournewneighbor said:
lamar said:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><
Dear Godisnum1;
Your friend;
LAMAR

Dear yournewneighbor;
Yes the Dead Sea Scrolls were a fantastic discovery! I am especially intriqued with the Copper Scroll. It seems that it very well may be the world's only verifibly authentic treasure map, my friend! Exciting to say the least!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Could you imagine climbing into a cave and finding that! I would pee myself from excitement. haha not really but seriously i dont even know what must feel like.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Bran <><

god

The first language used to write the New statement was in 'Greek', then hebrew,latin, so on. The old statement was wrote in "aremeo"??(I don't know to write it in english)

Architecad

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
architecad said:

Bran <><

god

The first language used to write the New statement was in 'Greek', then hebrew,latin, so on. The old statement was wrote in "aremeo"??(I don't know to write it in english)

Architecad
Dear Architecad;
I think the language you wish to spell is Aramaic in English, my friend. Also, no one can state with any degree of certainty exactly how much of the New Testament was written in Greek. Estimates run as low as 50% to as high as 80%. Certainly a portion of it would have been written in Hebrew and the parts which were written to peoples within the Roman Empire were most likely written in Latin. It's even been surmised that a small portion of the New Testamant may have been written in Aramaic as well.
Your friend;
LAMAR

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Lamar

Thanks for your input. I use to read and study the bible since I was a child. On 80's I begun to study the bible deeper, no I'm a little lazy. May be is my personal custom but I use to relate treasure hunting with the bible, may inside me there is a deeper wish to find a spiritual treasure rather than coins and caches.

Architecad

Sorroque

Jan 5, 2007
Canaberal de Ayzm
Detector(s) used
GMHCX3
Chaplain Fabrega of the 1715 plate Fleet,(Ghost town, Fab, Florida), "Those who seek treasure seek death", meaning, once caught carrying 2/3rds. contraband treasure by Pedro Menendez it would mean Death by hanging, or, 12 years of rowing
galleons across oceans in chains!
"Treasure in the sand", perhaps he meant, or maybe something entirely different. Maybe he had a copy of "The New Tersergiving Translations"? TNT,&T. :coffee2:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I spent a couple of weeks in Israel. I've shared a few pics before but thought I'd share a few more as they kinda pertain to the subject discussed in this thread.

I had a blast at Qumran..it's amazing that a Bedouin boy found the Scrolls. (photo of Bedouin boys I visited on my way to the Dead Sea)

I stayed in a convent, Ecce Homo, located on the Via Dolorosa, 3rd station of the cross. So thought I'd add a pic of my view from the top of the convent , And one of a game board carved into stone in the 'basement' or lithostrotos. It was carved by a Roman solider.

and lastly one of the Dead Sea. I don't have a pic of Qumran here on this 'puter.

Now, to hunt for treasure there, good luck trying to bring it home...I had a couple of broken plates I collected from Old City merchants and was *this close* to a cavity search in Tehran airport. Seriously.

Attachments

• sm_20091119114623_aaa5490e3b509b955c6913e31617661d.jpg
    sm_20091119114623_aaa5490e3b509b955c6913e31617661d.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 720
  • sm_20091119114620_9d29568210b60c836a45f0a043912875.jpg
    sm_20091119114620_9d29568210b60c836a45f0a043912875.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 725
  • sm_20091119114636_57665756697bf2a0bad741f763ae2b6c.jpg
    sm_20091119114636_57665756697bf2a0bad741f763ae2b6c.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 726
  • sm_20091119114632_226bf0f0a8f56b5ab55f1a844338b8a9.jpg
    sm_20091119114632_226bf0f0a8f56b5ab55f1a844338b8a9.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 718
OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Vibe

Thanks for your shared pics. I'd planning to fly Holyland 2 years ago but this economical crisis caught me before :laughing9: I was watching video on youtube about the war among israel and palestine people, it's terrible. Some jews people recommended to me don't go there because in the Israel side there is Palestines sniper shooting to anyone and planting bombs. My primary intention was metal detecting but with all those issues without resolve, I prefer to fly somewhere else or stay home waiting Obama fix the economy in this country.

Regard

Architecad

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
architecad said:
Vibe

Thanks for your shared pics. I'd planning to fly Holyland 2 years ago but this economical crisis caught me before :laughing9: I was watching video on youtube about the war among israel and palestine people, it's terrible. Some jews people recommended to me don't go there because in the Israel side there is Palestines sniper shooting to anyone and planting bombs. My primary intention was metal detecting but with all those issues without resolve, I prefer to fly somewhere else or stay home waiting Obama fix the economy in this country.

Regard

Architecad
Dear Architecad;
I believe that the tourism industry classifies situations such as the one you've described as an *adventure holiday*. Just remember to sprint short distances instead of strolling along and aloways do so in a serpentine pattern. Also, never forget to *duck and cover*. Keep these travel tips in mind and you should survive your vacation to the Holy Land unscathed. Oh, and take lots of pics too!
Your friend;
LAMAR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions