Jetty Park finds

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
Well I went out to Jetty Park and swung the Sandshark for about 1 hour in the surf and maybe .5 hour on the sand. The surf was medium, but at times, it was about a 1 hertz wave pattern of swing left, brace for wave, swing right, brace for wave, swing, brace, swing, brace, that went on for about half the time I was out there. It was during this time it took me about 15-20 minutes to recover the earring (still learning recovery in the surf with the Nuttall), it was about 3 scoops deep. Sunday PM I was feeling the stiffness ;).

My personal finds were:

a bobbie pin and dime in the same scoop.
a quarter
a dime
two pennies
one earring (stainess junker)
1 bottlecap

By that time my nephew was fascinated at what I was finding under the sand and he took over and proceeded to find:

four tent stakes
a quarter
a penny
a bottlecap
a pulltab

So one new recruit later, he wanted me to email im what i'd recommend for a starter detector. His dad wanted to keep it down so I ranged the choice form ~$60 to ~$150. American Hawks HP-1016, Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Tesoro Compadre, Garret Ace 150, American Hawks HP-1030. Nothing too stellar but it's a first detector and he wants to dig it all so i'm sure he'd love anything at this point.

I got pics, will post them later on.

Upvote 0

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
The more you persist, the more you will learn. It takes practice to get good ar water recovery. I have been doing it for months, and there are times a penny takes 10-15 scoops. And the more you are out there, the greater the odds on a good find :).

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
How deep were you in the water? I haven't been to Jetty park since I was a kid, I remember seeing the space shuttle take off there and seeing it come back in piggy backing a big jet.

OP
OP
nudels

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
stitchlips said:
How deep were you in the water? I haven't been to Jetty park since I was a kid, I remember seeing the space shuttle take off there and seeing it come back in piggy backing a big jet.

I was about to my lowest rib in depth for the earring, and from waist to breast depth throughout the walk.

Also I ran into two other detectorists, one person with what looked like a Bounty Hunter and another with an Excalibur 1000. Talked with each a little bit, nice folks.

No launches that day, but I got to see about a 1/2 dozen huge ships pass in and out of the port, including the Disney cruise ship.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell everyone water hunting is not for the weak. At the end of the day, my legs feel wobbly, my back stiff, my fingers tingle, and the muscle from my shoulder to chest feels like its been pulled out. Thats a good day when the surf isn't rough. Recovery does take some time, and I still get frustrated on the small round weights that fall out the scoop. I know what they are, but I always think..what if it was something else good. So if I am not too far out, I scoop run up to the shore and dump it out and sort through it..yep its a weight.

I am glad your nephew liked it, I hope he gets his own detector and sticks to it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread