ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coil itself does not effect "type" of items found in essence... only depth.
Larger the coil... deeper the "hit".
Settings effect results.

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 6" HF DD from Minelab is going to be the most sensitive to small objects, and the most accurate/consistent on low conductors like gold. It's all about target response to the frequency and the assigned target segment bin widths of that frequency coil.
That said, it will also require that you learn a new set of tonal nuances to avoid some common junk, which isn't so simple given the ID range span of gold and the effect on response from the irregular shapes and facets of much jewelry.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coil Longhair mentioned is a great coil! I have been using one for about a year. I dig more iron with it, but the separation is awesome. Its VERY sensitive to small objects. I dug a thumbwheel from a disposable lighter at 4-5" that hit hard, like a nickel on the surface does with other coils! It loves nickels & gold. I have a few natural gold flakes in a vial that weigh less than 1 GRAIN. The 18.75 coil hits on them at about 3/4" from the coil. Gold jewelry should be running & hiding from this coil!

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I plan on getting a 6" coil for the trashy locations, but not neccessarily the 18.75 HZ. Also important which descrim pattern you use if you are looking for jewelry.
Lately I like a pattern which only rejects TID 48 and listen for the high tones within the iron .

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on getting a 6" coil for the trashy locations, but not neccessarily the 18.75 HZ. Also important which descrim pattern you use if you are looking for jewelry.
Lately I like a pattern which only rejects TID 48 and listen for the high tones within the iron .

Best not to use ANY discrimination pattern when searching for jewelry. Read the e-book "Understanding your X-Terra", by Randy Horton (free on ML site). Using disc may cause you to mask out good targets.

OP
OP
J

J hoss

Nov 1, 2014
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best not to use ANY discrimination pattern when searching for jewelry. Read the e-book "Understanding your X-Terra", by Randy Horton (free on ML site). Using disc may cause you to mask out good targets.
I downloaded Randy's book. I'm In the process of reading thru it now.:thumbsup:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I downloaded Randy's book. I'm In the process of reading thru it now.:thumbsup:

Its a great read! The beauty of the XT is being able to use all metal & still have ID and mutiple tones. Enjoy the book!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread