Jewelry, watches, coins!!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I met someone who is a retired jeweler. After talking to him I am consigning a lot of stuff for him for sale. High-end to say the least. Authentic all real all starting at $.99. Tons of Coins Gold Coins watches jewelry. Anything you can think of. No reserve on any of it. If anybody's interested make a bid because neither him or I want to hold onto it. Probably only listing five things a week right now because they're going to sell for a lot of money and I don't want to have my eBay account flagged. But my eBay seller account is the same as this one I use on here. Five went up tonight! This will not have a yard sale circuit for a while! Lol

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking items. This is not meant in a negative way, but why the high shipping costs?

The insurance is a killer. But if I am too high on them I'll know for the rest of it I've never sold stuff like this before. But when I sold something for $550 Tenaja being $18 in shipping after it was insured

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
The insurance is a killer. But if I am too high on them I'll know for the rest of it I've never sold stuff like this before. But when I sold something for $550 Tenaja being $18 in shipping after it was insured

Thanks. I'm new at selling, 5 months or so. I'm always looking to lean.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by flagged? I only sell $50-$400 a week so I'm curious what gets you flagged and why if you sell too much.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by flagged? I only sell $50-$400 a week so I'm curious what gets you flagged and why if you sell too much.

Listing a bunch of items that end up selling at about the same time for like oh lets say $10K-$20K will draw red flags. That is if that is not your normal type of consistent business. When you sell $500 per week & then all the sudden sell $10K in a week they (eBay) notices it & can flag or suspend that account for suspicious activity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listing a bunch of items that end up selling at about the same time for like oh lets say $10K-$20K will draw red flags. That is if that is not your normal type of consistent business. When you sell $500 per week & then all the sudden sell $10K in a week they (eBay) notices it & can flag or suspend that account for suspicious activity.

So should I call them? Because there's a lot more than $10,000 worth.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably only listing five things a week right now because they're going to sell for a lot of money and I don't want to have my eBay account flagged

Um then what did you mean by that if you had no idea? There are all sorts of things that can get your account flagged or even suspended. Suspicious account activity is the biggest thing they watch for.

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I wouldn't be surprised by any sort of flagging for any reason in 2014, I'm wondering what the reason for flagging a sudden upswing in business would be. Resellers consign batches of high end items all the time, and that means more money for eBay anyway... so why bother?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I wouldn't be surprised by any sort of flagging for any reason in 2014, I'm wondering what the reason for flagging a sudden upswing in business would be. Resellers consign batches of high end items all the time, and that means more money for eBay anyway... so why bother?

Because there is a HUGE problem with individuals down on their luck (or flat out criminals) who start listing $10K or $20K worth of items (when they never had before). These are items this person does not really have & then they have it all end the same day & once enough people pay they withdraw the cash to their bank account & ship nothing! By what I understand this has been done on eBay more than 100,000 times for $10K or less each time. It is a well known scam. And the scam is actually possibly because of PayPal. The scam works because PayPal plays both sides of the fence on how they handle & control your money while its in their system (their TOS) which limits what you & what they can do in instances of a scandal or scheme getting pulled on them (or you). I can't tell you how many people I have heard about ripping ebay/PayPal off but usually only after ebay/PayPal ripped them off by issuing a large refund while letting the person keep the item they are getting refunded for. Use to be a site called PayPalsucks & it was dedicated to giving instructions on exactly how & what to do to use their (paypals) own TOS against them & thus how to rip them off & I guess if it was $9,999 or less then you had nothing ever to worry about. It became & probably still is a huge problem for them. This is also why new accounts can't withdraw money for a while when back when I started it wasn't like that.

This also works simply because paypal can't send out 25K lawyers to chase down & end up possibly squeezing blood from turnips if they do find the people they are looking for. If they perused all these cases PayPal would only end up out of more money spent away on lawyers chasing potential turnips. Thus they only go after the biggest time scammers I promise ya!

BTW I have a family member that works for eBay in CA. So I get some good inside info!

Last edited:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

It is a liability issue for ebay and Paypal.

Let's say someone hacks your account, and sells $22,000 in gold coins, during a one day auction. The crook has pocketed the $22,000 in cash, but of course, never ships the coins. Ebay and PP are going to be out all of that cash, and are going to have 15 ticked off customers, with no recourse.

When you list something, ebay has no idea if it is really you that is listing the item, or some hacker/thief/crook.

They've been in business for enough years to know when something is astray with an account, and my guess is that when they see spikes of activity with very expensive items, it probably trips the algorithm they have in place to spot abnormal activity.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that especially if I only had like five sales. I have 3200 sales almost. I raise my output levels and they said I can call back in 30 days to have it raised again if I need too.

But outside of selling the stuff I get to learn about it too and the owner is teaching me a lot about higher and jewelry and what to look for.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can understand that especially if I only had like five sales. I have 3200 sales almost. I raise my output levels and they said I can call back in 30 days to have it raised again if I need too.

But outside of selling the stuff I get to learn about it too and the owner is teaching me a lot about higher and jewelry and what to look for.

Your sales #'s does not take into account that your account might have been hacked and its really not you selling the items! You can trip their algorithm with odd activity no matter who or how long you have been selling on there. On a side note please do share what this guy teaches ya!!!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesson 1: buy this for measuring! Love it!

image-1760429312.jpg

And don't stay up all night playing with your jewelry!

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the inside info. Makes sense. I will gladly make a call to eBay... just as soon as I get a few hundred K worth to move... :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread