JFK, Suzy B and a SILVER ring !

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Hello everyone! Just getting around to posting a little note about my second fantastic day in a row of metal detecting at the Soccer Complex. Yesterday was a bonanza day. Lots of clad and even some excitement, though misplaced perhaps, over a gold coin.. well gold plated perhaps. <shrug> So many finds in so compact an area, and so little time! Had a storm not rolled in when it did I would have kept right on detecting I'm sure. But rain it did.. and thunder and lightning <shudder> Got to watch out for that lightning!
Anyway, I was off today as well, and since I had no further pressing matters to attend to, I skittered off down to the soccer complex again and picked up where I left off yesterday. I took the camera today though, thought you might like to see this clad haven for yourselves. Here are a couple of views from the edge of field #7, the pitch that I hunted on today. there's the nice big concession stand/restroom building, and one end of #7.

8-26-08 010concession.jpg 8-26-08 011field7.jpg

Things were a bit slower starting off today. For one, I got started a little later, it was nearly 11:30 (am) before I started detecting. However, targets started ringing out before too long. Unlike yesterday however, a first for me.. an entire metal detecting experience (hunt) without a single freakin' pull tab! ? ... today I found some of those little old familiar tricksters. Hey.. they ring up in the nickle range on my Prizm IV, so I got to dig them. Dig them or chance missing NICKLES or rings or other little surprises along the way. So I dug them. I found quite a bit of can slaw today too, all of which got pitched into the nearest garbage can as I went along. No horseshoes found today, but I did find what could be the remains of a snap hook from some horse tack. It looks a bit old to be of a more modern athletic equipment hardware. It was in two pieces actually, and not in the same hole, they were spread out about two feet. Not far from the hook bits was a part of a mangled toy car.. matchbox? Hotwheels? not enough left to say for certain. <shrug>
I found quite a bit of clad again, along with the trash, and two interesting "pins" though the actual pin portion of these two were missing. Perhaps that's why they were lost in the grass to start with. One is soccer oriented and the other is decidedly not! Viva Hardrock Cafe! I found another one of those commemorative "tossing" coins too.

8-26-08 024pins&coinfront.jpg 8-26-08 025pins&coinback.jpg

Not like the one yesterday, I knew this one wasn't gold right off the bat.. <rolling eyes> So no chicken dance today, but it was still a nice find. And I had a moment of "deja vu" when I dug it up.. I've found one exactly like this coin before, at the other end of this soccer complex. Now I have twins! Or I'm seeing double.. you decide.

8-26-08 030seeingdouble.jpg

Yesterday I was finding quarters left and right.. nearly every other target, it seemed, was a quarter. Today, it was dimes. I found 33 of them in just under three hours. Most often just one at a time, but occasionally in the mix with other coins.. pocket spills no doubt. I had lots of target holes that had multiple coins in them. Thank god for the bullseye.. Or I would more than likely still be bent over one hole or another sifting dirt looking for that coin that my detector swears is in the hole! <laughing> And DEEP! I can't get over how coins only a couple to three years old are sometimes 4 inches or more deep under the grass. I guess it's where the athletic fields are mowed regularly and the clippings and detritus settle and pile layer on top of layer as it turns into soil. Whoa.. that's deep.. <laughing> Here's a couple of pics of one of the "average" depth holes I dug today.. though this one had a multi coin payoff.. 41 cents.. a quarter, dime, nickle and a memorial cent. <grin>

8-26-08 017plug1.jpg 8-26-08 018plugclose.jpg

Towards the end of my hunt today, and I mean that literally, I got a faint reading in the nickle range. I almost didn't dig it after dealing with can slaw and pull tabs all day (a couple of hours). But in the end I did dig it.. and I'm glad I did.. this "pull tab" turned out to be a cute little silver ring. Well.. ok, it's not "cute".. rather butt ugly actually, but it's dainty small so it was probably a girl's ring. And better still.. it's SILVER!!! Sterling stamped right on the back... under "Hand Made" if you can't read it in the pic.

8-26-08 026ring1.jpg 8-26-08 027ring2.jpg

It's silver.. but the set is cracked or just plain ugly. I'm not sure it's jade or turquoise... I'm sure it's seen better days though.

8-26-08 029ring3.jpg

Oh well.. it's still a ring.. and it's SILVER!! <grin> I'll take it.. So another good day at the soccer complex. I can't complain, especially when you find stuff like I found today. I found a Kennedy Half.. SIX INCHES DOWN in the dirt.. 1973.. *sigh* not silver.. and there was the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin I found not far from that 50 cent piece. Yeah.. a good day! I dumped my finds bag to pick out more can slaw and trash before I left the parking lot..

8-26-08 019pile of loot.jpg

When I got home I sorted it all out and counted.. along with the ring and the pins and the commemorative coin.. I had $12.14 in clad. Sweeeet! That Vacation fund is fattening up nicely again already! Got to love a hobby that pays you back!

8-26-08 022everything.jpg

Of course, curiosities and coins were not of much concern to my darling wife. She'd had a rough day at the office (where she does volunteer work). She was more interested in dinner than dimes. So I set everything aside and whipped up some chow. A couple of nice ham steaks, green beans and brown rice. Hearty fare, quick and easy to fix. <grin> I also set about finishing up my jelly making operations for this year's Grape harvest. I cooked and canned four batches of Concord Grape jelly after dinner.. twenty four pints of preserved sunshine. <smile> Of course I'll be giving a lot of that away to friends and family... reserving some for my wife and I... of course. Anyway, the jelly making was the reason I've taken so long to get this little story on line. I hope I haven't bored you too much. As always..

Happy Hunting Everyone!

Frodov

p.s. You can bet I'll be going back to the soccer complex the next chance I get!

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frod, you are just amazing at the clad, I rarely even come close to what you find... excellent finds dear friend. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Bootybay said:
Frod, you are just amazing at the clad, I rarely even come close to what you find... excellent finds dear friend. :thumbsup:

Oh YOU TOO could find the clad if you went to the places it likes to accumulate/hide. I thought I knew where most of these kinds of places were, until the day before yesterday. WHO KNEW that you could find MORE on the actual playing fields at sports complexes than you could find in the seating areas? DUH! I have a whole BUNCH of places I need to go back to and hunt again. Keep lookin' darlin.. you'll find it! Boy.. that just did NOT sound right! <blushing> I'm not even going to go there~! <laughing>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

R

RUDY2003

Never boring Fro...Always an adventure.

Keep safe...

Keith

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
dude thats awesome! I got a my first silver ring yesterday! Man i bet you were really excited today! Congrats dude! :) Good luck on your next hunt! :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frodov , Not so fast on the ugly assesment of your silver ring - in fact congratulations ! You

have found a native american made ring from the 1940's or 1950's , the stone is turquoise and looks

so green because it was worn for most of 50 years before being lost. Older turquoise (natural stones)

turn greener over time because of the oils and soaps etc. that they are exposed to. The style and the

word handmade are what peg it as native (most likely Navajo) and also place it in the 40's or 50's.

I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico - one of the centers of " Indian country" with regard to art and craft.

so i see styles and vintages very similar to yours all the time . I assure you that collector interest is

strong in vintage native Americana. Good Find ! Argentium.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Argentium said:
Hey Frodov , Not so fast on the ugly assesment of your silver ring - in fact congratulations ! You

have found a native american made ring from the 1940's or 1950's , the stone is turquoise and looks

so green because it was worn for most of 50 years before being lost. Older turquoise (natural stones)

turn greener over time because of the oils and soaps etc. that they are exposed to. The style and the

word handmade are what peg it as native (most likely Navajo) and also place it in the 40's or 50's.

I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico - one of the centers of " Indian country" with regard to art and craft.

so i see styles and vintages very similar to yours all the time . I assure you that collector interest is

strong in vintage native Americana. Good Find ! Argentium.

I had suspected that it was in fact an Indian or Native American made ring when I first dug it up. As it would happen, many years ago my family took a driving tour/vacation to visit relatives in Washington State. Our drive out to the west coast was via the northern states, our return trip however had us swing through the southwest US. We actually drove through and visited I might add, several reservations, amoung them were the Suni (spelling?) and the Navajo reservations. My father purchased a torquois belt buckle after watching the craftsman make it.
As for my ugly little ring.. I didnt throw it out with the wash. <grin> I put it with the other rings and treasures I've found detecting over the last year and a half. It might not mean much to anyone else, but I like it.

Thanks for the info and the encouragement! and.. as always..

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

toolman61

May 31, 2008
Once again Frodov you have shown persistance pays off!! You and your wife are gonna have one grand vacation in no time at all the way you detect and dig my friend!! If you ever get up Ashland way give me a holler, I have a nice big park here and it's just dying to be detected! It has all the happening to make it a great hunting spot. I hope you find that ellusive gold soon my friend! HH Tom

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
toolman61 said:
Once again Frodov you have shown persistance pays off!! You and your wife are gonna have one grand vacation in no time at all the way you detect and dig my friend!! If you ever get up Ashland way give me a holler, I have a nice big park here and it's just dying to be detected! It has all the happening to make it a great hunting spot. I hope you find that ellusive gold soon my friend! HH Tom

Ashland! Too Cool Toolman! My wife is originally from Huntington WV.. just a hop skip and a jump from Ashland. I've been by Judd City many many times! I'll have to look you up sometime and we'll check out your park. Keep the passion! and Happy Hunting!

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
bedpanmoneyman said:
Got to love those dollar coins and the Kennedy half is a nice score as well. Silver ring...priceless ;D ;D

Dollar coins are always welcomed.. as are half dollars.. but I've only found three of those in the year and a half or so that I've been metal detecting. I was a little disapointed that this one was a 1973 minting and not one a little older that would still have a significant amount of silver in it. *sigh* Oh well.. can't have everything. Just have to keep looking I guess. <grin>

Happy Hunting.

Frodov

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your adventures are alway the best and far more interesting than anything I could come up with and your finds are always first rate.
Nice going dude.

U.P. Northwoods

Jul 27, 2008
Nisula, MI/Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Matrix M6
Your a better man than me! Cooking just isn't my forte. But MDing, ya. I'll take the wife out to eat. Besides tomorrow is our 29th anniversary and she deserves alot more than my lousy cooking. Nice digs. I kind of like those pins! :thumbsup:

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the ring pretty solid? I ask because you stated that it rang up in the pull tab range and the only time I have had a silver ring come in that low is when the band is broken in some way. I have a beautiful tiger eye that has a broken band that sounded terrible because dirt was holding the band apart. After I cleaned it and held the broken joint together it gives me a more appropriate silver sound.

Just a thought. Loved the finds. I also found a small silver ring this weekend, my first in a long while.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
pennyfarmer said:
Is the ring pretty solid? I ask because you stated that it rang up in the pull tab range and the only time I have had a silver ring come in that low is when the band is broken in some way. I have a beautiful tiger eye that has a broken band that sounded terrible because dirt was holding the band apart. After I cleaned it and held the broken joint together it gives me a more appropriate silver sound.

Just a thought. Loved the finds. I also found a small silver ring this weekend, my first in a long while.

No.. the band on this ugly little ring is sound and whole. Possibly it was just the way the thing is made that was throwing off the detector. I don't know really. But.. it was recovered and I'm happy just the same. <grin>

Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread