Joaquin Murrieta-yes again

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just want to bring attention to a book I'm reading that might be of interest to students of the California Gold Rush and the Joaquin Murrieta story. The title is The Joaquin Band-The History behind the legend. It was published in 2011 by Univ. Nebraska Press. It is far and away, the best book every to be written on the subject of Joaquin. I think I've read about all of them. I can't recommend it highly enough. Especially for the way it describes gold rush society in California from 1848-53. The book contains the very best account of the Hispanic contribution to the gold rush, especially in the southern mines around Tuolumne and Mariposa counties. The author sorts though myth and legend of Joaquin in spectacular fashion. If you are at all interested in the California gold rush or the Joaquin story this book is not to be missed. In a story as complex as this, especially since every county in California seem to have a "Joaquin Rocks" or "Joaquin Caves" and everybody's relatives (including my own) often told Joaquin stories, or knew someone, who knew someone who had a close encounter with California most famous bandit-the author has left virtually no stone unturned in the search for the truth.

I have a question for any other students of Joaquin. Does anyone know where the location of Joaquin's supposed gambling tent at a place known as Carpe Azul or Blue Tent was located?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant imagine it better than Joquin and his Horse Gangs?Frank Latta interviewed actuall participants
Yes,I know exactly where Blue Tent is....have been there many times

OP
OP
caprock

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have Latta's book, it is also very good in many respects. I just think he relied to much on hersay evidence, and stories handed down to relatives etc. Not enough primary sources of info to back up his conclusions. I may be mistaken, but I think he interviewed mostly secondary sources, people who gained their knowledge second hand. The only one who might be considered a primary source is the widow Arredondo who was interviewed at age 101, but again the interview lacks any substantiation or documentation. Don't get me wrong, Latta's book remains a valuable contribution to the Joaquin story. Never enough knowledge on a story as complex as this one....so where is Los Muertos and Blue Tent, does anything remain ? Latta makes it sound like it on or very near Six Mile Creek.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is on Six Mile Creek,and no nothing left.Its on Private property,that because of Trespassers I cant even get on now

OP
OP
caprock

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger,Thanks for the info on Blue tent. It's a shame you can't visit the site anymore. Did you ever take any photos of the area

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had,unfortunately it had been ravaged by detectors by the time I had taken an interest as well.There were some fantastic finds made there.I am presently in search of another lost Bandito camp near there,but so far have not located it

3sell

Mar 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard a lot about this guy and I heard of two huge buried treasures from this guy, one on Red Mountain in Ventura and another in a cayon close by. Does anyone have more info on these things or his buried gold anywhere?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions