DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mid to late 1800's. It seems the firm continued under that name into the early 20th C as I find a reference dated 1909. Mr. Griffith was also on the board of the German Central Bank of Baltimore in the 1870's.

John A. Griffith & Co., Importers and Jobbers of Tailors' Trimmings, 247 W. Baltimore Street.—This business was originally established in 1858 by Mr. John A. Griffith, who was connected with the house until his death in 1879, when the present firm, consisting of E. A. Griffith, H. G. Griffith and J. J. Murphy, was organized. The building occupied is three stories in height. The first floor is 30x110 feet in size, while the second and third floors, extending over No. 245, are 60x110 feet in dimensions. This is the oldest and probably the largest house engaged in this special line of trade south of New York, and enjoys an extensive and lucrative trade, located throughout the Southern and Western States. The stock carried is large and complete, embracing domestic goods of all grades, as well as those of German, French, Scotch. Irish and English manufacture, which are imported direct. The members of the firm are public-spirited, representative business men.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The following info is quoted directly from the best book on backmark-dating, "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn & Bruce S. Bazelon. It is available online from various civil war relic shops for about $25... and it will pay for itself many times.
------quote--------
John A. Griifith & Co., Baltimore. Griffith was listed in 1849-50 as a tailor at 6 Light St. in the firm of Merritt & Griffith. In 1858-59 he was listed as a merchant tailor at 187 W. Baltimore St. & in 1867-69 as tailors trimmings. The firm lasted to at least 1915. Some buttons with this backmark date 1880 per Scovill order books.
------end quoting-----

In other words, Griffith was a tailor, not a button-manufacurer, and the Scovill Manufacturing Company (of Waterbury CT) made buttons for him in 1880 to use on the clothing he made, having his name as the backmark for advertising purposes.

After-posting edit:
I see that DCMatt and I were typing our replies at the same time... and he types a bit faster than I do. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and he types a bit faster than I do.
smiley.gif

I used 'cut & paste'. :tongue3:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
Mid to late 1800's. It seems the firm continued under that name into the early 20th C as I find a reference dated 1909. Mr. Griffith was also on the board of the German Central Bank of Baltimore in the 1870's.

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
The following info is quoted directly from the best book on backmark-dating, "American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates" by William F. McGuinn & Bruce S. Bazelon. It is available online from various civil war relic shops for about $25... and it will pay for itself many times.
------quote--------
John A. Griifith & Co., Baltimore. Griffith was listed in 1849-50 as a tailor at 6 Light St. in the firm of Merritt & Griffith. In 1858-59 he was listed as a merchant tailor at 187 W. Baltimore St. & in 1867-69 as tailors trimmings. The firm lasted to at least 1915. Some buttons with this backmark date 1880 per Scovill order books.
------end quoting-----

In other words, Griffith was a tailor, not a button-manufacurer, and the Scovill Manufacturing Company (of Waterbury CT) made buttons for him in 1880 to use on the clothing he made, having his name as the backmark for advertising purposes.

After-posting edit:
I see that DCMatt and I were typing our replies at the same time... and he types a bit faster than I do. :)

I really appreciate the information from you both! So I guess there's no way to ascertain whether these buttons are Civil War period or not, since Griffith was in business from before the War until well after......... I can't tell from the backmark, but someone out there may know--it reads John A (no dot) Griffith & CO (then three dots, one on top of the other like this, but with one more : :) , then MD BalT--small "L" in BAlT) Thanks again to you both for this great information!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jhamner asked:
"So I guess there's no way to ascertain whether these buttons are Civil War period or not, since Griffith was in business from before the War until well after."

The guys (McGuinn and Bazelon) wrote "the backmark book" are amzingly diligent historical researchers. If Griffith had Scovill make any Virginia buttons for him during or before the civil war, McGuinn andd Bazelon would have said so in their book.

The McGuinn-&-Bazelon book on backmarks does list the Griffith-backmarked Virginia State Seal buttons as being VA-24-A1 in the Albert button-book, which says they are post-civil-war manufacture (RV of $1).

But still... please post some good well-focused closeup photos of the front and back of your Griffith-backmarked Viriginia State Seal buttons, so we can confirm that they are indeed the post-civil-war VA-24A1 buttons shown in the Albert button-book ("Record Of American Uniform And Historical Buttons, With Supplement.")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread