John "Marshall" Battjes Jr. passed over the bar

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While out looking for a new salvage boat yesterday I met another treasure hunter who did not know “Marshall” had passed away on August 30 2012. So I figured I better get out of my funk and post for those who might also not know.

Marshall passed away suddenly of a heart attack while at a dinner party with friends, fellow treasure hunters on August 30[SUP]th[/SUP] . I honestly have been in shock, disbelief and depressed since. Marshall would have been just 63 today!

Marshall had been my First Mate on the “Royal Fifth” treasure salvage vessel this season while we worked the 1715 Fleet.

I met Marshall while visiting Diver Dave at the hospital during his last week fighting cancer, just back in March, only 5 short months ago!

Marshall had the treasure bug something bad after hooking up with Micheal Abt and Taffi Fisher- Abt, several years ago. Marshall had found Micheal because of a common background of being stunt actors in Hollywood. Marshall lived life to the fullest one adventure after another travelling all over the world. Marshall met people everywhere he went. He had the gift of gab and would strike up conversation with anyone, anywhere, in the end getting a “business card” or exchanging phone numbers with them. He was a big hearted man and the world was his candy store.

Isaac has put the brakes on the salvage season and I never could have known August 14[SUP]th[/SUP] would be the last day we would hunt treasure together.

I can honestly say that it’s been a rough 6 months losing two friends and treasure hunting buddies so unexpectedly and so close to each other. Do not put off plans with yours. Make some plans with yours if you don’t have plans!

I will keep saying this till my time comes, as it does come from the bottom of my heart… While we hunt for treasure, of the treasure we find, the people we meet are our greatest treasure!

Thoughts and sweet prayers for Marshall’s family.

-Chris

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I just saw Marshall at Mel Fisher Days in July. He looked very happy & healthy. We were at the Bull & Whistle and at the Smokin' Tuna together. If I am correct, I think he was also at the pirate party in Wabasso in April? I think I may have a pic or two of him in Key West if you would like me to post?

Condolences to Marshall's family and may he rest in peace.

Tom

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Chris,
I'm truly sorry to hear this news... and you're right, it's the people who join with us and share our lives that make living worthwhile.
John

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A pic I found of Marshall from the April cookout.

Chris and Marshall.jpg

OP
OP
A

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
Hope as is going as well as it can be.

That's a great picture!

Marshall was in heaven that day! He sure loved talking about treasure and talking to treasure hunters!

Still waiting on good weather! :(

Stay strong my friend!

-Chris

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am hanging in there Chris, thanks for asking. I have my good days and my hellish days. Last p Marshall Battjes and Tom 0712.jpg ic of Marshall...this one of us together from Mel Fisher Days this past July. Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread