John Murrell - Dancyville TN???

drakes

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long time lurker first time poster here.

I listened to the TN lost treasures and mines audiobook a few years ago and was pretty surprised when one of the first stories was regarding a teeny tiny town where my family has a farm.

Dancyville TN (haywood county)

Here is a snippet from a website that may or may not be boooogus.

The John Murrell Treasure - John Murrell was an outlaw. It has been reported that he buried approximately one million dollars in gold near his home. The stone house was approximately three miles south of Dancyville.

Lets assume there's something to base this off of. I have found reference in a possibly cooked up late 19th century book to him riding through Stanton TN , just a few miles away. Evidently, prior to ~1835, these towns were nearly the same population as Memphis (my hometown).

However, Dancyville was founded in 1835, when he was likely incarcerated in middle TN. So this would have to be prior to that.

The Haywood/Fayette county line is about 1 mile south of Dancyville so if there was indeed a stone house located 3 miles S of Dancyville it would be in a different county (Fayette)

I'm going to the Fayette Co courthouse to go through property records prior to 1845 (Murrel's approx. death date?) in this vicinity. They date back to the founding of the county in 1824.

Y'all think this is going to be a dead end, like would you even need to buy land back then or did people just build wherever suited them?

Any family names I should be looking for other than Murrell/murrel/etc.?

Any tips on finding old stone building foundations if the above ground has been demolished?

OP
OP
D

drakes

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A book published this year (Katherine fletcher, 2019) states that his wife and kids were living near Dancyville at the time of his death, so perhaps there may be a deed recorded? I hope 1844-45 would be a lot more civilized than 1825. Especially since the modern highway running south thru Dancyville was surveyed in 1838, that gives me some hope we may be on to something here.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Michigan.

OP
OP
D

drakes

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
might be on to something here...I drove 10hrs round trip to the courthouse yesterday. Start a new job monday and that was the last weekday I'll have for quite a while. Just wanted to see if there's anything to go on . Cause with all the chiggers and ticks----I'm waiting for the winter to get out in the woods!!!

murrell1.jpg

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
John Murrell is a legendary outlaw, probably the most famous in all of Tennessee. I used to live in Maryville near Knoxville and used to see his name mentioned all the time up in Sevierville/Gatlinburg at roadside attractions e.g. “Bandits, Outlaws, and Moonshiners” type of stuff - even though he likely never ever stepped foot in the Smokies.

There’s been many books even films/tv shows.. wikipedia gives some good research material
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Murrell_(bandit)

Welcome to TNet, good luck, and keep us posted !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread