John P. Gruber NY Civil War Token, 1919 LC, 1907 & 05 IHP, Colonial Ring, .45 Cal FMJ

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John P. Gruber NY Civil War Token, 1919 LC, 1907 & 05 IHP, Colonial Ring, .45 Cal FMJ

Interesting mix. The token could have been used as one cent tender or as a vet scale weight since I found it on a former farm known for raising and selling fine horses 1860 - 1870's. I found the ring at dusk on the way out of the woods when I swung by a colonial cellar pit.

tres171.jpg tres172.jpg tres173.jpg tres174.jpg

Upvote 9

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe an apothecary weight from a local pharmacy? Nice finds!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "token" is a 1 dram apothecary weight--it says so one top in pic #2. Ring does not look Colonial to me...my guess is early 20th c. Nice finds, especially the apothecary weight!

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the Civil war people first starting hoarding gold and silver then eventually even copper\nickel coinage. As coins became scarce tokens such as this were issued beginning in 1862 with a redeemable one cent value. From wiki: "It is estimated that by 1864, there were 25,000,000 Civil War tokens (nearly all redeemable for one cent) in circulation, consisting of approximately 7,000–8,000 varieties...On April 22, 1864, Congress enacted the Coinage Act of 1864. While the act is most remembered for the introduction of the phrase "In God We Trust" on the newly created two-cent piece, it also effectively ended the usage of Civil War tokens. In addition to authorizing the minting of the two-cent piece, the act changed the composition of the one-cent piece from a copper-nickel alloy (weighing 4.67 grams) to a lighter, less thick piece composed of 95% copper (weighing 3.11 grams). The new one-cent piece was much closer in weight to the Civil War tokens, and found greater acceptance among the public. While the Coinage Act made Civil War tokens impractical, the issue of their legality was decided on June 8, 1864, when Congress enacted 18 U.S.C. § 486, which made the minting and usage of non-government issued coins punishable by a fine of up to $2,000, a prison term of up to five years, or both. (Chapter 25 of Title 18 deals specifically with counterfeit and forgery). It did not make it illegal to own Civil War tokens."

I've seen a subsequent issue of this token\weight clearly marked "Not One Cent" on the back.

The farm where I found this was known for raising fine horses for sale, its history documented. Maybe horses and people were being treated here. But the area was quite rural and isolated and much of the coinage I find is very well worn, sometimes to the point of being blank slugs. I'm guessing coin shortages were chronic.

OP
OP
Eastender

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guessing the ring date, as well as the dates of other relics, can be tough. This area was settled and used by CT Puritans in the late 1600's and the first known established farmhouse in the general area was erected in the early 1770's and comprised 150 acres. I've recently found a 1822 large cent close to this ring so you could be right. But I've also found KGII halfpence here too.

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! In great condition as well. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread