Johnson pump questions

Jordan P

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I'm completely new to this new sport of gold sluicing lol. I've gone out once for about 45 mins and found a tiny spec of gold.
I just bought a 2200 GPH Johnson pump. It's red in color. My plan is to make a recirculating sluice with this pump.
My question is, do I place the entire pump under water? Will the pump get damaged from being 100% underwater? And since it's recycling the water, will it damage the pump if it sucks in sand?
Sorry for all the questions, I may have more lol :)
Thanks,
Jordan

Upvote 0

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Read the instructions, many of these bilge pumps are not designed for continuous use out of the water or they will over heat and melt the housing
They are not designed to pump sand at all, doing so will shorten their life...to zero
You can rig a couple buckets so the tailings fall into one bucket and settle and the water will spill to the next bucket where the pump is. Pumping muddy water will not hurt it

Huelten

Nov 22, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the exact same pump, i place the whole pump underwater and it works perfectly. If you're building a recirculating system just be careful not to have it sitting on the bottom of the tub, ive had mud get in mine that way. Another thing that could help you is to zip-tie a screen, like a window screen for example, to the bottom of the pump.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pump is a bilge pump ment for boats. It works very good for the application you want it for. Just don't make a real large unit. I have the same pump running my Gold Buddy mini highbanker. Works good. Don't suck up sand! It isn't a trash pump. I set mine in a coffee can with the bottom cut out and it sets a couple of inches off the bottom of the tank. I also wrap the can in window screen to keep the floating trach from getting into the pump.

Good Luck and welcome to mining and the net!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
J

Jordan P

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the help!

OP
OP
J

Jordan P

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh one more question. When the pump is totally submerged and pumping, is there any chance of me getting electrocuted from touching the water it's in? I know it's a silly question, but I don't want to die.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh one more question. When the pump is totally submerged and pumping, is there any chance of me getting electrocuted from touching the water it's in? I know it's a silly question, but I don't want to die.
run it on a GFCI OUTLET to be safe. You only die once.

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
If it's a 12 volt pump don't worry about it. If it's 120 volt then GFI. Keep the pump submerged all the time. The little sand that always seems to float from one tub to another doesn't seem to hurt them. Do use at least 2 settling tubs with the pump in the 2nd one.

OP
OP
J

Jordan P

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's a 12 volt pump don't worry about it. If it's 120 volt then GFI. Keep the pump submerged all the time. The little sand that always seems to float from one tub to another doesn't seem to hurt them. Do use at least 2 settling tubs with the pump in the 2nd one.

Thanks Doug!

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is a 12 volt pump and runs off a battery. It will not hurt you unless you short across the battery terminals with something metal.
Run time will only be a couple hours for a pump that big

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this the pump you bought?
th.jpg
I mean I typed in red Johnson pump in a search engine and that came up....

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Omni, that's like the one I have only a lot smaller

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread