Jug

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I originally posted this in the ceramic/pottery forum and another T-Net member suggested I post it here as well.

I found this sticking outta a riverbank of the St. Joseph River in Niles, MI

Any info, insight, comments are welcomed and appreciated!

oops, I forgot dimensions:

11 1/2" H
7" D

Attachments

• jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 237
  • jug2.jpg
    jug2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 239
  • jug3.jpg
    jug3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 239
  • jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 232
  • jug2.jpg
    jug2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 228
  • jug3.jpg
    jug3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 241

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
vibes said:
I originally posted this in the ceramic/pottery forum and another T-Net member suggested I post it here as well.

I found this sticking outta a riverbank of the St. Joseph River in Niles, MI

Any info, insight, comments are welcomed and appreciated!

oops, I forgot dimensions:

11 1/2" H
7" D
I am no expert, but your jug looks to be 1880s in age. A maker's mark might be the key to dating. With no markings, the form is the only clue, and this looks earlier than TOC.

The scar on the side is a kiln scar. Something collapsed during firing, and this jug leaned against a neighbor. A common, in-making flaw which you needn't repair.

The broken handle can be restored without much problem. Use SCULPTAMOLD, a combination of plaster and paper pulp. It's easy to mold by hand, and it is hard when cured. You'll have to experiment with paint to match the slip-glaze color and texture.

This one will display nicely. Show us the before and after images when you restore the handle.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
This is an 1830s ovoid form which I found. Note the kiln scar on the shoulder. The other side has another scar to match which suggests two neighbor pieces leaned onto this jug in the kiln.

stonewaresuwannee.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread