JuJu calls my 14k Crucifix cross "Criminal Gold"

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
JuJu calls my 14k Crucifix cross "Criminal Gold"

Hey guys! Well, I got out today with JuJu for another spectacular hunt! It was a good day today because it was not raining! Like JuJu mentioned, he had 2 spots picked out for us. One of the spots was a 1902 house, which in the end did not kick out as much as we hoped. I was hoping for an indian head penny, but instead all i got was regular penny's. "Yuck" I say. lol. We then moved onto another spot just down the street.

This house did not kick out very much either. In fact, no keepers at all. I was amazed because usually there is at least one or two deep signals in an old house or more. But this time there was no deep signals and the dirt was like sand. It was amazing. :( Time for plan B, which was going to parks! :)

The first park that we hit was big, but we had no expectations to get anything good like jewerly or rings. JuJu went immediatly for the tot lots, while I went for the open space where the goal posts were. After walking around for awhile and not getting a lot of signals. I finally got a dime signal at 1''. I dug down with my trusty digger and out popped a regular clad dime. Oh joy! :) I then saw JuJu, who was in front of me and he was trying to get as many clad as he could dig. I then took some steps forward and got a really low nickle tone. It was solid and I decided to pinpoint it, Then I started to get down on the ground when I saw the Crucifix Cross.

I picked the cross up and thought it was cool that I got my first one. As it was getting to be lunch time, JuJu and I ended the first park hunt and got some McDonalds. While we were in the drive through, I was wiping some dirt off the cross and saw a stunning sight! The Cross read 14k!!! I was like "You got to be kidding me!" I was doing the happy dance in the car! :) JuJu soon asked to see the cross and still told me that it was gold over copper, which is also known as "Criminal Gold". Criminal Gold in his terms is gold over copper, which is then translated into fake gold. The Criminals who want to make money would stamp a 14k on the item in order to sell it for more money.

I thought that was interesting, but i still was convinced that it was real gold. I asked JuJu if we could do the acid test on the cross in order to see if it was or not. After hunting for another 2-3 hours, we then decided to go back to his house. JuJu took out his acid kit and put a drop of it on the cross. Unfortunatly, it turned green on the cross, which meant that it is fake gold. Oh well. It is still a keeper find and I am going to put it in my display case with all of my other keeper finds.

To wrap everything up, I had a great hunt and had a fun time with JuJu. He got around $5 in clad, which I don't think he is going to bother to post it, so thats why I am telling you guys.

I hope everyone got out to hunt! :) :thumbsup:

Pictures:

january11thfinds001.jpg

january11thfinds003.jpg

january11thfinds002.jpg

january11thfinds004.jpg

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Re: JuJu calls my 14k Crucifix cross "Criminal Gold"

Man, you guys are sure diggin some awesome finds out there! :thumbsup:

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

Very nice find there DetectorFreak...too bad it turned out to be fake gold....but a cool find any way. At least your having fun detecting while I have to deal with snow....LOL. I need to write JuJu to have him film you doing the 'Happy Dance'...LOL

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 531
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 534

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat Mariners cross.
I found one almost identical, fake gold as well.

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Congrats on the Swap Meet Gangsta Gold. ;D It only took 4 hours of tellin ya and an acid test to prove to ya it was fake ya rock head. :tongue3:
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the "fake gold" mariners cross DF.
It's still a keeper and looks good. You mentioned the happy dance in the car...
was wondering if Juju got that on video? Might make a good post too. LOL
Good weather here today and some good hunts also. Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

DF, I can tell just by looking at it that it's not real gold. It's got too dull of a color to be real gold.

I'm glad you got to get out and swing your machine today. I'll be hunting tomorrow. Looking for Injuns and Barbers, but more than likely will end up with wheats and mercs/rosies.

Keep The Passion High!! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro

My question is, how did you manage the happy dance IN the car? You must have scared the heck outta' JuJu... :D

Great digs guys, regardless of the "Ghetto Gold"... ;D :thumbsup:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

49er said:
Very nice find there DetectorFreak...too bad it turned out to be fake gold....but a cool find any way. At least your having fun detecting while I have to deal with snow....LOL. I need to write JuJu to have him film you doing the 'Happy Dance'...LOL
I wish I coulda filmed him this time. He flipped out in the back of my car, in the drive through at Mcdonalds. I thought I got rear ended. ;D
JuJu

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DD-777 said:
My question is, how did you manage the happy dance IN the car? You must have scared the heck outta' JuJu... :D

Great digs guys, regardless of the "Ghetto Gold"... ;D :thumbsup:
Ain't that the truth. I think my wife thought we were in a wreck. :tongue3:
JuJu

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm interested to know why it gave a low iron tone. Seems like with the copper underneath, it would give a high tone too, so it would be a pretty strong mixed signal. I'm confused.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread