billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stripped several pairs of $1 to $2 garage sale Jumper cables that had heavy copper in them. The stripped copper cables were dull from the cracked and oxidized black insulation. Both pair were made up of runs with four strands about the diameter of #8 strand wire, made up of fine copper. Even though the larger strands were still wrapped around themselves, the scrap buyer wouldn't take them as #1 because he said the wire was too fine.....and paid as No.2 copper.

Have you had this happen? What does qualify for No. 1 copper?

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
if it is stranded they will almost always call it #2, it's their rules and they abuse those rules to make more money, as long as it is not super fine and not stranded they will pay #1 even if it's weathered, i used to keep alot of my stranded copper seperate and melt it down, then alot of scrapyards only want to pay brass price for this, but i know places that know the difference, i see you are in Texas, if you ever get into saving your scrap metal and know the various types of metal, keep them seperate and take them to Proler in houston they pay more than anyone in the US. watchout scrapping is highly addictive!

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
watchout scrapping is highly addictive!

This is true. We were renovating my wife's old house and everything that was not donated went to scrap.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the scrap yards around here consider it no. 1 copper only if the single strands are .060 or larger.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The welding cable was bought as #2 and if new and bright it might be a 50/50 split between the two grades. If we separated the cable it would give me a premium over a #2, this was only done after a many years of dealing with the broker and in a 1000lb load or more.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a lot better than the jumper cable I bought. It looked like good copper and I didn't even think of checking with a magnet. Steel clamps and aluminum cable. I look closer now.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the above sounds right to me.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread