jumping through hoops for a permit

blackchipjim

Dec 25, 2016
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good afternoon all, I was recently trying to obtain a permit to metal detect on the local public park system and what a trip that was. I called after to trying to look up it up online in the sites glossary. I finally just called and talked to a gentleman that was himming and hawing and was sympathetic and said would get back to me later. I assured him it was just recreational and would be a good boy and not leave the place looking like a scene from the movie caddie shack. I have yet to receive a call and think it was just a blow off but we will see. Wish me luck.

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had rangers ask to see my permit, I always have one. Once they see the permit the conversation normally ends with "good luck, hope you find what you're looking for". The Manager stated that she normally prepares about 50 a year. They are free and easy to obtain. It's better to be safe than sorry. The local state park used to be 4 separate farms at one time and the good finds are going to come from the woods where there isn't any grass nor ever gets mowed. The permit also allows me to hunt the camp sites when the camp grounds are closed for the season. This park was created in the early 1950's so if you want to find the older stuff you must go into the woods. When it gets too hot and dry to hunt permissions (Late July & most of August) the water at the beach is where I spend some time. The water is cool and refreshing and is where I use the 1280X Aquanaut and my scoop looking for treasure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have had rangers ask to see my permit, I always have one. Once they see the permit the conversation normally ends with "good luck, hope you find what you're looking for". The Manager stated that she normally prepares about 50 a year. They are free and easy to obtain. It's better to be safe than sorry. The local state park used to be 4 separate farms at one time and the good finds are going to come from the woods where there isn't any grass nor ever gets mowed. The permit also allows me to hunt the camp sites when the camp grounds are closed for the season. This park was created in the early 1950's so if you want to find the older stuff you must go into the woods. When it gets too hot and dry to hunt permissions (Late July & most of August) the water at the beach is where I spend some time. The water is cool and refreshing and is where I use the 1280X Aquanaut and my scoop looking for treasure.

Loco, if some location actually has a "permit", fine, by all means get it and show it. But if there is no "permit", then no need to seek one, or permissions, etc...

I'll tell ya what: I'll go to the most purist archie on the state payroll in Ohio park's dept. And will say "Gee, is it really right that loco-digger is tromping around on state property, looting artifacts for his own profit and gain ? Gee, what if he harms and indian bone ?? And also, look at his forum avatar containing the word "dig" in it. That means he's "digging holes" thus ... isn't that running afoul of the landscaping dept? ".

But for a mere $20 (I accept paypal), I can be persuaded to keep quiet ! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread