JUNKYARD TREASURES

boggle

Apr 7, 2007
Fairfax, VERMONT
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Not sure if this has been brought up or not ,But especially for people in the southern states a great place to look for old coins is in the old cars at the junkyards. I have found a lot of change on floorboards and under seats in my time at junkyards. And if you live in an area that the older cars are still in scrap yards at you could get lucky!! maybe not RICH!! But you never know.. ::)

T

TreasureTales

Good idea. How about used furniture (sofas) at the thrift shops? I wonder if they hold a few coins, too?!

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
I was at an auto salvage yard about a month and a half ago and I saw change on the seats and floorboards of wrecked cars, but I just couldn't bring myself to take it. I know it is only change, but it wasn't mine to take.

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
TreasureTales said:
Good idea. How about used furniture (sofas) at the thrift shops? I wonder if they hold a few coins, too?!

A employee at a thrift store told me that every time they get furniture in they check for money. They even turn the chair, sofa, etc upside down and look search from the underside.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ringding said:
I was at an auto salvage yard about a month and a half ago and I saw change on the seats and floorboards of wrecked cars, but I just couldn't bring myself to take it. I know it is only change, but it wasn't mine to take.

Great decision. If someone lost their life in a wreck, it would be the same as stealing pennies from a deadman's eyes. Or, if that person lived, but was seriously hurt; the same as robbing them. I would no more do that as I would go coinshooting on a grave.
Just my never humble opinion.

T

TreasureTales

I'd never detect over a graveyard, but I see nothing wrong with scrounging for coins in wrecked vehicles at the junkyard. To each his own.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
my family owned a junkyard for many years as i was growing up. everybody searched cars. no shrine here. keep in mind that car will be parted out and eventually ground up and turned into who knows what.

best places to search for coins and jewelry..
under front seats and under back seat and in ashtray. many american car backseats come off by pushing the buttom cushion towards the back of the car to unhook it from the floor. once unhooked it just lifts out. most import cars require two bolts usually 10mm and right under the carpet be removed to pull the seat cushion out. under that back seat youy can find change and sometimes jewelry but keep in mind most cars get used as mobile motel rooms at some point so be careful diggin' back there. you may run into the trojan man!

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you would be surprised at what you can find in old stuff. years ago my mom was at the goodwill and found some old suitcases from the the 1920's and wanted to put them in one of her rooms as like a travel room or something. she opened them up and notice they were pretty dirty and dusty. as she was wiping them out with a wet cloth she found an old silver bracelet with 12 hand carved elephant figures on them each made from a different stone. jade, rose quarts, ivory, ruby, and i cant remember the rest she went and had the bracelet appraised at a jeweler and found out it was a one of a kind by some famous jeweler in Asia the bracelet was appraised at $16,000.00 not bad for buying an old suit case for a dollar. ;D

joe

Jun 7, 2004
What others equiptment to buy to test the junkmetal you buy if there is precious metal mix on it beside doing a chemical test on it is there any high tech test equiptment they sell on the website now,any links ???

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
My brother and I did this in the early 70's when we were kids. We lived beside the junkyard (before they became "parts recyclers"). The guy who ran the place knew dad and we ran around there all the time and pestered him anyway so he didnt care that we were there. THE best place to check was in the "crack" of the seats and below the back seat. We would fill our pockets full of change from the cars. Most of the cars in the junkyard then were from the 50' and 60's. We would sneak over to the store and old man Hoag would fill us up with sodas and ice cream. I remember the merc dimes and thinking they looked funny back then. Didnt matter, old man Hoag was always happy to take them off our hands! (now I know why). Brings back good memories anyway.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pulled the gas tank out of a 1946 Chevy truck; (They are under the seat) and found a BU Walking Liberty. I imagined the the original owner loosing it the day he bought the truck new. Still have it and it goes with the truck. I have found many a old coin working on classic cars under the old carpeting. Old cars are a treasure trove if some one else hasn't been there first. I was at one of those U-Pick-It used parts yards and every care there the seats where all ready pulled up; Got a nice pair of leather seats out of a riviera that some one else did all the hard work.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joe said:
What others equiptment to buy to test the junkmetal you buy if there is precious metal mix on it beside doing a chemical test on it is there any high tech test equiptment they sell on the website now,any links ???

Your eyes! Best tool ever made. Get familiar with what different metals look like. Study the information you find here on TNet, read catalogs books, price lists etc. You can't go wrong using your eyes and knowledge. :sign13: :sign13:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread