Just a little trip that took 18 years

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1995 I had been trying to start to learn how to go gold mining and while on a family campout at Yosemite, I took a short drive into Oakhurst for some supplies. I went to the local Rite Aide and picked up some propane bottles and lantern mantles. In the camping section on a bottom shelf were clearance items for sale and there was a stack of black plastic gold pans for $3 eh. I thought "Yea , I'm in gold country and camped by the Merced River. I bet I could find gold there." So I bought 2 pans. At the check stand there was an old man in line ahead of me. He looked over and saw the pans and said " Going to try your luck to find the yellow metal? I said "Yea, are you a local?". Yep, you looking for a spot to pan?". "Yea! You know some place close by?" He said "Down Hwy 41 there is an old closed Steak House. Behind it is a little creek, it's dry most of the time, but if dig some dirt and get it to some water you should find some gold."
On the 30 June I was in Oakhurst for the weekend to visit with friends and drove up the 41 and found the Steak House and the Creek. I filled a bucket and brought it back to my friends house. Set up a panning tub and in 4 pans found a pin head size piece of gold. I I brought the bucket home and I'll run the rest through my recirculator sluice. I let yall know what I find.
Broken Bit.jpg :goldpan:
The old Wooden Miner on the road to Oakhurst.
I didn't find the creek back in 1995. I did try to pan in the Merced River in camp but I had no clue then what to do. I just scooped up some random river bottom and panned, nothing. Now 18 years later I found the creek, I knew how to read the creek, and dug behind a bedrock riffle.
The old Man was right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like the old Broken Bit, just up the road a piece. Lots of exposed bedrock, been hit hard by the locals, but still gives it up. I remember being there back in day, it was good food, good drink and good times. Thanks for the memories.

Attachments

• Broken Bit 005.JPG
    Broken Bit 005.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Aurabbit79er

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right Oakview2. I just walked straight down to the creek from the statue. Do you live near there?:goldpan:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread