dirty job

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Gilbertown al
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all recently bought property in Virginia for metal detecting and other stuff. Was walking the boundaries and we found mounds on hill of stacked stone over looking large Creek. Dug just a little bit and found square head nails glass and a brass piece with hole drilled through. Would y'all please inform me if you think it's just farmers field clearing or maybe war related. IMG_20190624_120237.jpg IMG_20190624_120203.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190624_120215.jpg
    IMG_20190624_120215.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 87
Upvote 0

MidMoTreasure

Jul 2, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Super Sluice, Banjo Pan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, could be. Definitely deserves more investigation into the area. I have observed rock piles at some of the camps I hunt that are now wooded. Let us know what you find.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's hard to tell by the pic's, but this does have some sort of definate shape. Be careful you know some Native Americans would bury their dead in such a way. Just a thought. Are there any more of these rock formations in the general area?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please post pictures of stuff you find. If you don't get any coins, up close pics of ceramics are easy (for me) to get the age on. Could be a house site, war related, even an Indian site, but that is least likely.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try to find any old maps of the area and see if there was any dwellings on your property. It's worth a shot,good luck :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

dirty job

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Gilbertown al
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to tell by the pic's, but this does have some sort of definate shape. Be careful you know some Native Americans would bury their dead in such a way. Just a thought. Are there any more of these rock formations in the general area?

There is has a matter of fact.On both sides of this is another one that looks connected to center one. Almost like center was hub and other we're sleeping quarter. But that could be my wild imagination. Also if I described something I hope maybe y'all can id.Would take pic but might have left in Virginia. It's a piece of old brass looks hammered started has a 1 to 2 inch square plate was then beaten over in half and hole punched through. I have video of me walking around this but not sure if I am allowed to post videos.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOL I thought I was the only one who thought about buying land for detecting on LOL...not that I have...

OP
OP
D

dirty job

Greenie
Jul 8, 2012
Gilbertown al
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many times you go looking for something and get just about everything you hoped for. I just knew if you really want history go towards where it started.Now if that little good nugget would jump out of the ground!!!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about RENTING land to detect on.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about RENTING land to detect on. The nails are 19th century.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only input would be ; your rock pile really does not resemble (most) farmers rock piles in my N Atlanta area.

Like the others said , potential is there.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I suspect that it was an old dump, you could find some great artifacts there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread