PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

Ok, I have been pondering an idea for some time.

I have some unused office space fully furnished including phones and laptops. (My current business doesn't need it and hasn't used it much in a year.) I would like to use this space for something.

I have been thinking about organizing a research and recovery team for treasure hunters. A place for research, planning and organizing treasure hunts. You get the idea, A Treasure Hunter Consortium.

Any thoughts on this? How to structure it? Interest/participation level?

Thanks for your input.

Patrick

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely interested. Let me know if I can help.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Initially, I have two comments:

1. You may wish to narrow your focus and thereby increase your ability to be proficient. Example: Will your contemplated Consortium handle the extremes and everything in between--like organizing LOCAL land hunts-- to deep see salvage off FOREIGN coasts?

2. One of your first lists you may wish to prepare is a list of the elements that, once obtained, make up A BETTER CHANCE to have a treasure hunt succeed. Of course, the more complicated the challenge (like salvaging in foreign waters) the greater the number of elements you will need to obtain.
Don.......

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Initially, I have two comments:

1. You may wish to narrow your focus and thereby increase your ability to be proficient. Example: Will your contemplated Consortium handle the extremes and everything in between--like organizing LOCAL land hunts-- to deep see salvage off FOREIGN coasts?

2. One of your first lists you may wish to prepare is a list of the elements that, once obtained, make up A BETTER CHANCE to have a treasure hunt succeed. Of course, the more complicated the challenge (like salvaging in foreign waters) the greater the number of elements you will need to obtain.
Don.......

Don,

You bring up some good points. While I am SCUBA certified, I did not envision foreign hunting. I was thinking more about collaborating on treasure leads and spots to hunt. Not to compete with the local metal detector club, but something a little more structured and focused. I could always hire an admin to compile a database of leads and do microfiche research from the local papers. This isn't intended for just hobbyist metal detecting though. I don't think there is a need to organize that level of activity.

It should initially target things within a reasonable drive time. For example, the outlaw Sam Bass might be a good one to start. Compile the research then go search the spots. It is still in the thought formulation phase. But, I do have five desks available in three offices that haven't been used in awhile. Just trying to figure out the best use. Any ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

Patrick

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, so now you have focused on treasure opportunities within driving distance. Would that be from Ft. Worth? How many miles radius?
Another thing; between your research locating information that points to 'X marks the spot' and "then go search the spots", there are at least two additional consideration to overcome in your research: (1) Are there any impediments to direct access? (like a river, bridge out, no roads, etc.) and (2) once you have arrived in the area will you need a permit to enter and hunt; or it the land totally restricted and government controlled? Then there's the ethical question: Would you hunt on posted "No Trespassing" land if no one else was in sight?
Don..

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this kinda of like what KVM used to do?

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, so now you have focused on treasure opportunities within driving distance. Would that be from Ft. Worth? How many miles radius?
Another thing; between your research locating information that points to 'X marks the spot' and "then go search the spots", there are at least two additional consideration to overcome in your research: (1) Are there any impediments to direct access? (like a river, bridge out, no roads, etc.) and (2) once you have arrived in the area will you need a permit to enter and hunt; or it the land totally restricted and government controlled? Then there's the ethical question: Would you hunt on posted "No Trespassing" land if no one else was in sight?
Don..

Hi Don,

I like the analytical nature of your thinking. Good stuff.

Ok, I don't have all of this thought out to that degree. But, it would seem that a collaborative nature would make sense. For example, pool our suggestions on which treasure lead to tackle first, decide on one, then the rest of your questions have to be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Fortunately, I am an honest guy and very straightforward. This means I probably wouldn't trespass without permission. But, I wouldn't rule out getting permission as an option.

Patrick

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Have you thought of subletting your office space and assembling your team online, where they, too, can work from their own home or office through SKYPE, Email and Instant Messages? Why would they need to come to your office area?
Don.....

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No reason to sublet. I can always hire more employees and use the space if needed.

It just seems that I am drawn towards doing something like this and was trying to utilize available space. I mean, it would be just as convenient to meet elsewhere or do it online. Although, I have found that in-person meetings produce the best results.

For some reason I got a flashback of a South Park episode where the kids went out on Halloween and one couldnt make it so they had him on an electronic device while they went door to door.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread