Just a whale full of nails.....

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I worked a small area of the old foundation in our yard with mostly the pinpointer and a magnet and I felt like a kid again playing in a big sand box! Nails, chain from a chain saw, a bit of glass, and a bottle cap..but still was fun!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506989112.323627.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506989124.980019.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506989136.244165.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506989162.296965.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506989162.296965.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Upvote 22
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like it! I keep all the square nails I find if they are in good condition. I occaionally build furniture out of old wood, barn wood, drift wood, etc. and I use the square nails sometimes. I have found quite a few copper square nails as well. I don't know why I like something that is not really a valuable thing, but I do!

Thanks...I DO like nails too...especially when they are in such good shape and even more so that they are on land that is ours now )but was someone else's before and will belong to someone else some day....)

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some nice old naols there. They can repurposed for some really cool crafts or displays. Therapy comes in many forms and fashions. Sounds like this worked quite well for you.:hello:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DEM OLE NAILS TELL SOMEWHAT A STORY OF THE SITE YOUR DETECTING>

OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DEM OLE NAILS TELL SOMEWHAT A STORY OF THE SITE YOUR DETECTING>

Yes...to be sure. I wondered why there were so many and rather clean looking in the middle of the foundation in a concentrated area!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...to be sure. I wondered why there were so many and rather clean looking in the middle of the foundation in a concentrated area!
Excellent display! A possible answer to your question, the bottom of a box or keg might've blown out, or someone needed a bucket in a hurry & never picked the pile up. When / if you decide to do a project. Here's a hint. If you're making a sign, or using biscuits, take the nails and cut off the shank except for 1/2 or 3/4" tap them in. You can do this along side finish nails to cover the heads too! Oh, if you tap them in with a plastic mallet it won't mess with the patina much.

Don't get bummed, just look at it from a different view! To a collector or restorer Buddy! You just hit the motherlode!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Underwonder

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent display! A possible answer to your question, the bottom of a box or keg might've blown out, or someone needed a bucket in a hurry & never picked the pile up. When / if you decide to do a project. Here's a hint. If you're making a sign, or using biscuits, take the nails and cut off the shank except for 1/2 or 3/4" tap them in. You can do this along side finish nails to cover the heads too! Oh, if you tap them in with a plastic mallet it won't mess with the patina much.

Don't get bummed, just look at it from a different view! To a collector or restorer Buddy! You just hit the motherlode!!!

Thanks, boogeyman! Nice tips for woodworking too! I did feel like I hit the jackpot with the nails and will save them. My husband occasionally uses them in clock repair of cabinets. I wasn't too bummed. I have had an awesome year of finds and it was rather fun sitting and magnet fishing for a change of pace :). Best of luck in the hunting and creative world!

P.S. (OK..as a kid we used to joke about the scary boogeyman. Are you a night detectorist?)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread