Just an update

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I am still around. Still battling the VA about my disability rating (there should be a decision soon, but

I will probably have to fight it. Went to a doc who was supposed to make an assessment of my

mental health status and claim, and the VA sent him TEN YEARS of my old medical records, not in

chronological order. He looked square at me and said, I am sorry, but I am a Christian Family

Counselor, I have no idea what to do with your claim except fill out this form they sent me and ask

you the questions they have underlined. Needless to say, I filed a complaint almost immediately.)

Anyway...my back problems have not gotten better, they only have me on more drugs. I have been detecting maybe a half a dozen times this year. I did find my first silver ring, however.

I posted an ad on craigslist when money got very tight to sell both my detectors. One guy was very interested, so I agreed to meet with him. He had a disability far more severe than mine, so I just gave him one of my detectors for free. He was really moved by it. I realized that I could be a lot worse off. His wife was skeptical, but hey, who wouldn't be?

I finished my BA in Natural Sciences. I will not have my sheepskin in hand until September, but if the two colleges involved can get me my documents I need in time, I can actually have a job and be teaching this fall. It will be good to be able to go back to work again.

My wife and I decided to give one of the two spare rooms in our house to a young couple I met while at college. Little did I know, this was going to put me at the center of a lot of drama. They are good kids. They are both 19. The deal was that they both help out around the house and with the yard work, and they could live here for free.

The young lady has had a rough life, but is still a sweet, generous, and kind hearted girl. Her grandmother is her guardian, and is a real nut. She accused me and my wife of trying to ensnare the girl into some sort of sex cult, and things even worse. The young man has been raised his whole life by his mother, without any male role model around at all. As a matter of fact, last weekend was the first time in his life he had ever been taken fishing. They are really nice kids, and my wife and I are bent on helping them out, crazy parents or not.

Basically, they need to be given the chance to become adults, and they are not getting that where they live. In some ways, I guess we are meddling in family affairs, but I still think we are doing the right thing. I am trying to get the guy into metal detecting as well. It hurts my heart to see my detector standing in the corner, next to my cane, gathering dust.

My exwife is up to her old tricks, and may or may not exercise her visitation with my daughter this summer. All I can do there is let my kid enjoy her summer as kids should, riding her bike, playing with friends, and the other things that kids can do in a small town when school is out.

Sorry this is so long, but all these drugs they have me on these days, along with everything going on in my life, has started to wear on me. My wife has born enough since I returned from my deployment, she should not have to listen to me vent like this as well.

I welcome any replies. Sometimes it feels like my life has turned into nothing but school, then home, then school, etc. My GI Bill is paying my mortgage right now, and I refuse to get unemployment or food stamps. I know I qualify for both, but my pride will simply not let me go that route. We are paying our bills, and I do not want to be yet another burden on the state. There are people who need it far more than me.

I miss coming to this page, even the arguing politics with some of the guys and such. I hope they get my back problem fixed soon. I want to get out and do some detecting. Heck, I would like to be able to do my own yard work without having to be doped to the gills first.

I just wanted to let you guys know I am still around, even if I am not actively detecting anymore. I am getting other people interested in the hobby, and still supporting the hobby any way I can.

Thanks,

Libralabsoldier.

Upvote 0

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry life has been so tough lately! I met you when we detected Cole Park last year. Thank you again for your service to our country. I hope that the VA will get it together and help you get better. You're trying to help others out and am praying that God will bless you for that!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_salut: for what you are going thru. I want to thankyou for YOUR service to OUR country.... God bless you and help your struggle...Evan

Attachments

• american flag desktop wallpaper 4.jpg
    american flag desktop wallpaper 4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 686
OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I remember...I was planning on getting a nice Ace when I got my school money, then my back got even worse, so I opted to put the money towards paying off more of our bills.

I just get kind of depressed sometimes, being this young and unable to do most of the things that make me happy. I feel kind of useless and in the way a lot of the time.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if you feel that way sometimes, don't give up hope of getting your life back. I know that depression can be debilitating and hope that your doctors are helping you address that. I have been there and medication can make a ton of difference if you have the right one!

It is too hot to be out there swinging these days, so I am living vicariously through the folks on this site who continue to find amazing stuff. Check out this site and look at the videos. Wish I could go to England and hunt with this group!
www.chicagoron.com

I know you guys moved up to OK. Are you in an area where there are arrowheads? That is the other thing I would love to hunt.

Hang in there!

Slim Diggins

May 27, 2010
McLoud Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Thank you for your service to this country. Never give up hope and that tommorrow will be better than yesterday.
Someday there will be a couple of people that remember you and be thankful that you gave them chance for a better life.

David

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Well, I have not found any arrowheads yet, but I have found a sadly broken ceramic marble that was very very old.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I know it's already been said but once again. Thank for your service. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain! I have a disabling back injury but it is not service connected although I am a veteran of the 'Nam era. I was turned down 3 times over a course of 4 years for my Social Security disability claim. I worked a year in excrutiating pain before I finally gave up and quit. Finally I went before a federal judge and he approved my disability. I asked the VA for help paying for my drugs and they wouldn't even talk to me because, "You make too much money". The problem was not a lack of income, rather the expense of medical bills, drugs and the IRS that kept me struggling to get by. Don't give up! Keep after them and keep appealing and even appealing your appeals. Sooner or later you will find someone in authority with enough sense to grant your claim. It's ironic that if you were a welfare bum they would be throwing cash at you. But you can make the system work if you have the guts to stay with it. Monty

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Monty, I highly recommend you talk to your closest DAV and AMVETS or VFW veteran's representative. I know you saw and experienced things in Vietnam that probably still cause you problems. Back problems notwithstanding, you may want to consider making your PTSD claim. Your country owes you a debt. Period. Enough people are leaching off the system, those of us who have money owed to us should get it.

And if I have not said it to you before, thank you for your service, and all the other guys from the 'Nam era. I volunteered. You guys did not have that option.

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for serving.

If you qualify for unemployment you should take it. Unemployment comp is not a handout. Employers pay taxes to the govt. That is where the money comes from. I would have a hard time taking food stamps, but if my family had to have themto eat, I guess I would have to swallow my pride.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to be misunderstood, I did not serve in 'Nam. I was stateside training pilots to go over there and dodge antiaircraft guns and missiles Then I was stationed on a munitions range in Libya where I helped pilots learn to deliver ordinance and hopefully not get shot down. My disability has nothing to do with my Veteran status. I was just in during that period. I didn't then and don't now want anything from the VA except a little help with my very expensive drugs to treat my condition. It costs around $1500 a month for my medication. I planned ahead and have a fair income but that much just more than I can afford, so I don't take the medication and just get by as best I can. My wife also has MS and needs a very expensive drug that costs just about the same as mine. Therein is my dilemma. Monty

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Getting Unemployment in Oklahoma is almost a full time job. I do not have time to deal with the hoops they want me to jump through, and go to school full time, and try to be a good husband and father.

As Monty said, if I were a welfare bum, they would be throwing money at me.....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Hi Kel, good to see you ! Hope you are feeling better. M :hello: nty

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
According to the VA this morning, one more month and both my claims will be completed. Not sure if that is good news or bad news.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
Libralabsoldier said:
According to the VA this morning, one more month and both my claims will be completed. Not sure if that is good news or bad news.

I know how you must feel I have been fighting with the DOL & Soc. Sec. & OPM since 1998. When I got hurt and since 2004 when I went out on disability.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I got a call this morning from ODVA (Oklahoma Department of Veteran's Affairs) and they said that my lumbar back condition did not appear to be service connected. They called me back five minutes later and said "Oops, we just mislaid the file. No big deal."

NO BIG DEAL?????

It took five years off my life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread