just back from Nevada....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got home from a 3 day Nevada trip. Went back down to the drywash where I found the multi-oz copper nuggets in June. Boy, was I in for a surprise. The 6 x 10 coil on my GM24K is bad, and I really wanted at least a 10" coil, so hauled out the old GM3. It rewarded me with a multi-pound hunk of copper....or at least it's got copper in it. Same grayish metal clear through. Weighs just over a kilogram. I sent the bigger nugget I found in June to an assay lab. Should, know what the metal is in a couple of weeks. This nugget, along with another golfball-sized nugget were found about 100 yards up the wash from the last one I found in June. This morning I covered the area carefully with the 6" coil on the GM3, but found zero gold, or other nuggets. I think this one is close to it's origins. I can't see something this hefty moving very far in a relatively dry climate. I need to go back and do some digging, but just can't manage it in this heat. Going to have to wait for late fall. I'm just about certain I've found most of the detectable nuggets in this wash...at least with the detectors I use.
P7100001.JPG P7100003.JPG

Jim

Upvote 0

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got home from a 3 day Nevada trip. Went back down to the drywash where I found the multi-oz copper nuggets in June. Boy, was I in for a surprise. The 6 x 10 coil on my GM24K is bad, and I really wanted at least a 10" coil, so hauled out the old GM3. It rewarded me with a multi-pound hunk of copper....or at least it's got copper in it. Same grayish metal clear through. Weighs just over a kilogram. I sent the bigger nugget I found in June to an assay lab. Should, know what the metal is in a couple of weeks. This nugget, along with another golfball-sized nugget were found about 100 yards up the wash from the last one I found in June. This morning I covered the area carefully with the 6" coil on the GM3, but found zero gold, or other nuggets. I think this one is close to it's origins. I can't see something this hefty moving very far in a relatively dry climate. I need to go back and do some digging, but just can't manage it in this heat. Going to have to wait for late fall. I'm just about certain I've found most of the detectable nuggets in this wash...at least with the detectors I use.

Jim

What an amazing find! Congratulations, nicely done.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Many thanks, Lanny! I was pretty excited. I think I'm closing in on a copper lode. I'm seriously considering filing a couple of placer claims in that area. It's pretty deserted, and if I keep going in there, somebody is going to get curious about what I'm doing and take a look. I left tracks, and covered holes all over that wash...LOL. Pretty hard to disguise, especially if I start digging large prospect holes. Sure wish those nuggets were gold, however. I won't do anything until I get the assay back.
Jim

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds. You would be surprised what water can do in a dry climate. Years ago I was working a dry creek and heard rumbling climbed up the creek bank just in time to see a 4ft wall of water pushing VW size boulders. It was sunny and 90 degrees but 30 miles upstream in the Bradshaw’s it was raining to beat the band.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice finds. You would be surprised what water can do in a dry climate. Years ago I was working a dry creek and heard rumbling climbed up the creek bank just in time to see a 4ft wall of water pushing VW size boulders. It was sunny and 90 degrees but 30 miles upstream in the Bradshaw’s it was raining to beat the band.

I agree, but this particular wash doesn't reach the mountains...it's a secondary wash, and no way could it ever get a "wall" of water. It does have a bit of seasonal flow, but not much, and for sure not enough to move nuggets very far. And, none of these nuggets were in the bottom of the wash.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread