Just Beginning in Michigan

abergerm

Aug 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, and thanks in advance for any advice :)

I am in Michigan based around the suburbs of Detroit area and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about locations to detect besides the state parks? I love historical finds, but am having a hard time locating areas with generalized permission. State parks tend to give more standard results, change and rarely a nice jewelry find, but they are also riddled with spectators - not that I mind explaining what I'm doing, but its more of a relaxing a fun hobby I do for myself!

Any ideas? I am heading to Traverse in a few weeks and would love suggestions on the potential of the state park there.

Also Traverse is open in all areas, but you have to report findings to park officials, what is the likeliness they would try to withhold findings?? Anyone have any experience with that in the past?

-AB

Upvote 0

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from north of Rochester! Make sure you hit the old schools in your area- look for the football and baseball fields. Use the site historicmapworks.com and find the old churches, playgrounds, grange halls(dance halls) and parks. Then go hit those. I just got back from a weekend in Traverse City. I was in the east bay with a water machine and found 2 rings, one 14K. Don't forget your coil is waterproof on a land machine so go into the water while it's still warm enough. If you go up to your knees be careful not to drop the machine. Good Luck!

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I used to live in Chesterfield twp and always hit the various old school grounds. I would make it a point on the week day after work to go to various playgrounds and hit where the activities may have happened. Used to go every other month, with a couple of other hunters to Belle Isle, safety in numbers ya know. Now that park has become a State park don't know if you can hunt any more. With the head phones on and you keeping your attention looking down, you may want to find a 'buddy' to go hunting with you. Not everyone is friendly and just wants to see what your doing. I've been bothered only a few times, but I'm a guy and nothing came of it, I want you to be safe and have fun hunting.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Campsite's tent campsites are especially good!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal Detecting is a renewable resource. :) As other noted, don't overlook schools! I find the coolest stuff in the yards from kids drops... In May of this year, in IDAHO... I found a British Crown, with Winston Churchill on it. Made me laugh... Never know what'll turn up!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the phrase that most drives me..... wherever people gathered. Even gathered 100, 200, 300 years ago! Detroit goes back MANY years. Historical archives and newspaper archives can help you with old places. Old churches are nice too. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions