Just bought a house in Sebastian..... looking to do a shallow water offshore hunting.

Grantisland

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a place right next to Sebastian inlet and an thinking of taking up treasure hunting. Any tips on boat rigging? What the best pull behind sonar/detectors is?
Does anyone actually make money and break even or is everyone always in the red?

Not looking to spend a million on a startup but maybe $100,000........ any tips on what to buy? What is best to search..... shallow or deep water off coast?

Anyone ever look at the high grade pics from satellite in 20 feet of water off Florida coast? Looks like there are many smaller potential boat wrecks (40 to 60 feet) from the pics I’m looking at.

Do I need a permit? Is there restricted areas that cannot be touched?

Anyway, let me know any wisdom you guys may have.

Thanks

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permit? Yeah. Go down to the Fort Pierce docks and you should be able to get all your questions answered by people who actually know what they are talking about.
Best of luck - you will need it!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The short answer is yes; it's heavily restricted activity. You can't just jump in and do it, or you can, but don't get caught (and you will- its not taken lightly)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, you will need a permit. I've heard $2k a year for a lease of the seabed, it probably covers a certain area only, not the entire area. It's also posted here somewhere. Will you make money? No one knows.

diggerdave46

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
titusville fla
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt the beach down there waterline to the foot of the dune that's the only place you can hunt don't go in the water off the beach you will get arrested. a great source of how to do the beach Terry Shannon on you tube he lives there good luck lookin to metal detect shoot me a line [email protected] ill come down im in mims north of Titusville

ExcalSam

Sep 8, 2019
Davie, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can you dive/detect in the water between sites? As long as you're darn sure you're between leased sites.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi, I remember towards the end of the recession (about 2010-11) there was a retail listing SFR, 3 bed two bath, standard block construction on a little cut de sac community exactly across from the ocean off A!A for $119,000 that didn't sell for 5 months. It was in Indialantic about 4 houses across A1A from the ocean.
I'm originally from the general area, and I thought it was a good opportunity. You can't do everything. I'm sure it would bring 4 times that price today. Talk about treasure.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just bought a place right next to Sebastian inlet and an thinking of taking up treasure hunting. Any tips on boat rigging? What the best pull behind sonar/detectors is?
Does anyone actually make money and break even or is everyone always in the red?

Not looking to spend a million on a startup but maybe $100,000........ any tips on what to buy? What is best to search..... shallow or deep water off coast?

Anyone ever look at the high grade pics from satellite in 20 feet of water off Florida coast? Looks like there are many smaller potential boat wrecks (40 to 60 feet) from the pics I’m looking at.

Do I need a permit? Is there restricted areas that cannot be touched?

Anyway, let me know any wisdom you guys may have.

Thanks

Lucky you ! Love that Sebastian Inlet area.Last month we looked at homes for sale around that area with a realtor. 383.JPG 386.JPG

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi, I remember towards the end of the recession (about 2010-11) there was a retail listing SFR, 3 bed two bath, standard block construction on a little cut de sac community exactly across from the ocean off A!A for $119,000 that didn't sell for 5 months. It was in Indialantic about 4 houses across A1A from the ocean.
I'm originally from the general area, and I thought it was a good opportunity. You can't do everything. I'm sure it would bring 4 times that price today. Talk about treasure.

They said that crash was a once in a lifetime opportunity... but if this present economic/unemployment crisis spirals too badly, you will probably see severe price depression in real estate again. Have cash ready, don't jump too soon :laughing7:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We bought our house in Indialantic in 97. I'm in construction so it was a definite fixer upper. It's worth 5-6 times what we bought it for. 3 blocks from the beach. I've been through the inlet hundreds of times fishing and have seen the big treasure hunting boats south of it anchored up off Vero. Sometimes they hit it big.

Tristan De Luna

Aug 13, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro , Vanquish 340,
and coming soon, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanna dive that area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread