Just bought a second hand 3300 - my first MD has issues!

emanon

May 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, new here & new to metal detecting, excited to get going!

Here are some issues with the 3300 I just bought, maybe someone here has experienced the same problems and can point me in the right direction to fixing them.

I am pretty handy and not afraid to open it up if I have to (I probably will).

Problems:

• Seems to only sense at the top and bottom of the coil, not on the left or right sides.
- Sweeping back and forth misses things that I can see/ know are there.
- Sweeping it forward and backwards seems to work a lot better
- This seems to be the case on both AllMetal and PinPoint modes

• Battery indicator is always displaying low.
- Tried two sets of batteries, one set was a fresh set of Duracell's right out of the package.

• Plugging in a quality 2 channel 1/4 to 1/8 headphone adapter turns the 3300 off (shorts out??)
- The MD wont power up if it's plugged in before I turn it on.

Any help/tips would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
emanon

emanon

May 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Following up my post with a solve to all of the issues above!

I pulled out the batteries and was ready to take it apart, when I noticed the left battery's positive pickup was bent down.
I stuck an hex wrench in there and pulled it back up, then cleaned all the pickups with alcohol and a q-tip.

That fixed everything. Even the shorting out. I wouldn't think something that simple would have such an effect, I was geared up ready to clean corrosion off the boards!

So to anyone with weird issues, check those terminals/ pickups!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I had trouble with a Minelab Sovereign like that … And the problem was the battery pick up was not making good connection… Did the same thing you did i took a screw driver put under the pick up preyed up so better connect and it worked fine after that……..

gusser

Dec 23, 2013
Central Penna
Detector(s) used
copper dowsing rod and a smaller 1 for a pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome and enjoy your Bounty Hunter. Learn your machine & it will do you well. I've had a BH for years along with some "big names". The BH keeps up with them nicely.

OP
OP
emanon

emanon

May 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for confirming my findings Keppy, hopefully this thread will help someone down the road!

& Thanks for the kind welcome guesser, good to know my BH will do alright! I have yet to take it out officially, but I think I got every nail and screw in my yard :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions