Upvote 0

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are off to a good start then and learning your detector. I am not familiar with that model but I am sure some others with experience on your detector will chime in on some tips for you. Welcome to the forum and good hunting.

OP
OP
S

Spokanehunter

Dec 29, 2013
Washington
Detector(s) used
minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for the reply's Do any of you have any tips for metal detecting in frozen ground every thing I have found has not been to far down.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look at old maps and try and find places where people were many years ago that is not woods. Areas covered with leaves don't freeze as fast or as deep. This will also help you in the long run as you get to know where the old areas. Parks covered with grass get detected first by those with a metal detector and the also freeze almost as fast as bare ground. If you know of someone with an old house, ask them for permission to hunt their yard. If they have woods behind it all the better. Just keep in mind that sometime old homes have dumping areas that are filled with junk. Be patient and learn how to use your detector. Get to know what sounds different items make. Go SLOW and keep your loop close to the ground.

OP
OP
S

Spokanehunter

Dec 29, 2013
Washington
Detector(s) used
minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will try looking for good woods. So Heres another newbie question how much clad do you you guys find on average in a park, school, ect.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can only speak for myself but I find 98% clad in the parks and schools in my area but I am sure they have been detected before and maybe all the old stuff is long gone. But I would rather be out detecting and find clad than nothing at all. On the frozen ground it is a bad deal at best and I have tried it but you can only get down a few inches now so I will try to get back to these spot in the spring/summer. A place I try when the ground is really frozen are tot lots that use wood chips to cover the ground under the playground equipment as that usually doesn't freeze as hard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Spokanehunter

Dec 29, 2013
Washington
Detector(s) used
minelab vanquish 440
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh i never thought of that that's a really good idea thank you.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm over in Kalispell, the ground is frozen bad here to. The only detecting I can do is plowed fields with a pick or the shoreline of Flathead lake is all rock so I use a small hand pick. For more info on your detector scroll down to the brand section and go on bh forum and ask away. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread