JUST EXPERIENCED A 6.88 EARTHQUAKE

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stay safe...My biggest quake was a 4.8, can't imagine a 6.9 ; oddly enough it was in Reno NV not in California.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Sefen,

That must be some experience to live through. Sure hope your shelter didn't sustain any major damage.

Homar

OP
OP
S

stefen

Geographically, Ferndale is located on a land protrusion which is the most westerly land mass of the continental United States. The quake occurred along the San Andreas Fault which terminates where 3 continental plates meet, and this is the location of 25% of all quake activity in California.

We live in a 3 story Victorian home and was on the 2 nd floor when the quake hit...fortunately my wife and I were in the bedroom doorways and literally couldn't move...

There were 3 minor quakes ranging from 2.7 to 3.5 that preceded the 6.9 shaker...

Quakes have different characteristics depending on the source...some are rollers, shakers and what call drops...like being then dropped...jolting....some have a noise-like sound...

You could hear the whole house twist and squeak...accompanied by screams...shouts, and a quick trip to the bathroom...

Grew up experiencing tornados, floods, forest fires and quakes...will take a quake any day...

Bang and it's over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread