just for fun put some gold through -150 mesh screen

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
bought some 150 mesh screen from amazon, this piece of gold went through that screen, tip of a safety pin for scale.
white light through a yellow paper reduces the glare (from the white light) on the gold. -150 mesh gold (yellow light)2.jpg

this is using a microscope i bought on amazon, has a nice view screen so i am not looking through the lens to see the gold.

this is without the yellow paper filtering the white light -150 mesh gold (white light)2.jpg .

Upvote 5

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
cool i saw this,ive been testing different ways to keep my water clean in the desert. so i started sifting the dirt threw a 150 mesh screen, and wow it take all most all of the mud out. now all of my clean up machines work so much better.and if i want to clean up the 150 i can do it at the end of the day,but i dont, i find it funny that people put the 150(mud) in their clean up water then spend the rest of the day trying to get it out.some people are just set in your ways.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I'm sure you already know this BUT here goes anyway !use 3 settling tanks of water that are piped together and use Clay - be -Gone to help the heavies drop out of suspension. If you decide to use Dawn dish detergent use it sparingly to prevent lots of bubbles that could / would float the fine gold out ! And make sure you screen down in several mesh and pan those separately..... :occasion14:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
I'm sure you already know this BUT here goes anyway !use 3 settling tanks of water that are piped together and use Clay - be -Gone to help the heavies drop out of suspension. If you decide to use Dawn dish detergent use it sparingly to prevent lots of bubbles that could / would float the fine gold out ! And make sure you screen down in several mesh and pan those separately..... :occasion14:
thanks for the infor,but its way ea er to get the mud out before you get it wet. try this ,sift some dirt though 150 mush screen and watch it turn from dirt to small gravel, then put it in water.its so easy to work.i mainly go the to desert and its a pain to take allot of water and tubs out there, i do uses a little clay be gone my spiral bowl.i just build a vibrating sift that goes from 1/2 to 3/8 to 1/4 then to 1/8 .with the ground still being damp this really helps.we detect any biger than 1/4, sprad it out the 1/8 on moving blanket to dry, then dry wash it , then sift it through the 150 and put it in the spiral bowl. wow thats allot .but the dirt in so. ca, dosnt not dry out any more.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
cool i saw this,ive been testing different ways to keep my water clean in the desert. so i started sifting the dirt threw a 150 mesh screen, and wow it take all most all of the mud out. now all of my clean up machines work so much better.and if i want to clean up the 150 i can do it at the end of the day,but i dont, i find it funny that people put the 150(mud) in their clean up water then spend the rest of the day trying to get it out.some people are just set in your ways.
Save up that -150 mesh and do the method I described to you on another one of your threads. You will end up with fairly clean sand and maybe more gold.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread