Just getting started... TX beaches

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Where are you living/close to beaches? If I was you I would start close to home. Most land detectors cannot, will not work in or close to saltwater. They pick up the salt, which is a metal compound and go crazy. There are many that will work near saltwater, and of course most coils are waterproof, and some MDs are made waterproof too. Good luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start close to home and if you have a land detector stick to the dry sand. If you venture near the wet sand it will act up and be unstable. Turning down the sensitivity is the only solution besides getting a true water detector with dual frequencies. In the mean time learn from the master.

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Attachments

• NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 326
  • NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    NORM, The Golden Olde.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 320

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Texas is a BIG state, where do you live? What kind of detector do you have? Some have done well at the large fresh water lakes in TX. Galveston is a popular beach, but hunted very hard.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I personally like the dry sand ... and anywhere that gets good crowds will have you finding "stuff".

But after getting a PI machine , I love the wet sand. Older more interesting finds come out of the wet.

And definitely read and re-read that link from Sandman.

HH Joe

OP
OP
A

american_girl

Sep 14, 2008
Well the thing is that I live in Austin, so I'd have to drive quite a ways to go beach detecting, but my family normally takes a trip to the beach during the summer anyways. So location really isn't an issue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread