Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett AT Pro is great all around, and is near the bottom of your price range. No need to blow a TON on something you might not even like doing for sure. Get a pro pointer also

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
The Garrett sounds like a real common beginner at a real good price. You way want to look at minelab machines in that range. They seem to be just about everything I thought I ever needed on a detector and easy to use.

swund1703

Jun 22, 2013
I do not own that one but I assume the interfaces are ll pretty similar. I almost bought an explorer pro just because of the price and the ammount of people that liked it a an easy beginner machine. My grandpa owns the Garrett and he finds goods all the time especially in parks. Actually impresses me with the speed inwhich that old man will dig from target to target. It's pretty much to me a yes dig or no pass machine. Easy easy easy though

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to spend about $500-1,000 on a metal detector. I would like to know a good all around one. Thanks

What ever u decide on remember just if u end up buying a 1000 + machine its not gonna make items appear any faster then a $500 machine ull need to learn it well I got a feeling ur gonna get alot of different machines thrown around but it comes down to what r u wanting to detect for,then land,or water or both, aswell as u will need a decent digger a treasure pouch for putting ur finds & trash in & though not imperative but will help a pinpointer, hopefully ull stay with the hobby if u drop a grand we c alot of people selling high end machines cuz it didnt find items as fast as they thought take ur time watch vids read ur manual & most all have fun.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors will find a variety of items but if you have one type of detecting you do most often, buy one that excels in that area. Things to ponder....
does it need to be waterproof? Do you need a meter? Junky vs. clean hunting sites so you can decide on coil size. Depth of targets (I know that's a tough one to decide before you start but it's important). Maybe if you explain a little more about what you intend to use it for, it might help us help you. There is no one do-it-all-perfect machine so there are compromises to be made.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors will find a variety of items but if you have one type of detecting you do most often, buy one that excels in that area. Things to ponder....
does it need to be waterproof? Do you need a meter? Junky vs. clean hunting sites so you can decide on coil size. Depth of targets (I know that's a tough one to decide before you start but it's important). Maybe if you explain a little more about what you intend to use it for, it might help us help you. There is no one do-it-all-perfect machine so there are compromises to be made.

Exactly well said to

OP
OP
F

foxeod

Greenie
Jul 7, 2013
I will be doing most land stuff, some gold off sand on and the head needs to be saltwater proof

Thanks

OP
OP
F

foxeod

Greenie
Jul 7, 2013
The sites will be most unclear or not been hunted for some time. Also going to the ocean 3-6 times a year alots of sand

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I understand you correctly, you plan on doing some nugget hunting and surf hunting along with the typical park/school stuff? If so, with your budget, I'd get two machines. A new Garrett AT Pro and a used Fisher Gold Bug. Or if you will be doing more surf hunting than nugget hunting, get a good used PI surf machine instead of the Gold Bug. The AT Pro is a decent beginner machine for most uses but it's not the best at nuggets or salt water. It will still do both but not as well as other machines designed specifically for that. A Pi surf detector is a basic beep and dig machine. Most major manufacturers make a good one.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Foxeod, welcome to Treasurenet. The X-terra two coil pack is a good machine with a lot of features. it allows you to use different coils on different frequencies. The Garrett At Series would also be good for your needs. Give me a call if you have any questions.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Xterra, MXT Pro, Vaquero, T2, Omega, F5, AT Pro, and more. All good machines if you spend any time reading the post. In the end it will come down to a matter of personal preference. Read, ask questions, call some forum sponsors, and pick the one that suits your needs best. Learn that machine well and you will do well. Whichever you decide leave some room in that budget and get a Garrett ProPointer right off the bat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread