Just got a question

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
in most cases public lands are ok. public schools,public parks (not state parks!),the strips of grass between the sidewalk and the grass, all should be ok. if youre not sure about a park e-mail your division of parks and recreation and they will either give you permission or turn you down. state and federal lands are almost always off limits. hope this helps.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have sent about 24 request to metal detect to various schools, towns, county parks. About 15 have replied. All that have replied said yes, one limted to new coins only no digging. My states Parks system MD has regulations posted on their web page.

Ed Donovan

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
In general it is ok to search on public property. ?No brainers might be PLAYGROUNDS at schools, Sandboxes, the beaches, Tot Lots or places with sand and wood chips. Open athletic or soccer fields... ? There are a few conditions and acceptions that i would consider though. ?It ?may legally be OK or you may not need to make such considerations, ?but, none the less, I, personally would consider them.

First, regarding schools and athletic fields... ? First, make sure you know and are proficient with how to dig a proper hole and not damage the surroundings. ? ?At least around me, some athletic fields can be quite elaborate with artificial turf and high tech track surfaces... ?Especially at the high school and college levels. ? ?When there isn't an organized practice or game, they are fenced and locked. ?Don't enter the fields if they are gated and locked. ?As for school playgrounds or school grounds themselves. ?Stay away if fenced and locked gates or, on school days. ? Remember that some schools, these days, will open early for parents who have to drop kids early. ?They also stay open later for kids who don't have anyplace to go till parents get home. ? I would just stay away on school days entirely. ? On weekends, when nobody is around, I figure it would be fair game. ?If kids come up to a play lot to play, back off for a while. ?After all, consider the intended purpose of the property and yield to that. ? If searching on a soccer field and a group of kids come up and start playing Soccer, I would consider the area theirs. ?Unless I can adequately keep doing my thing without getting in their way. ? ?

Whether it be a school or other public building or property, avoid formally landscaped areas. ?Don't search the front lawn of Village Hall or the Fire Department. ? Stay out of gardens or areas that might have been set up as memorials or monuments. ?

If there is road construction or sidewalk maintenance going on, that can be a high possibility opportunity. ? Especially in an old town where the sidewalks or streets might have been dirt at one time. ? Usually, when construction is halted, say during a weekend or in the evening, such sites might be searchable. ?However, note whether any finished surfaces have been put down. ?If it is bare dirt, that might be OK, ?but, if there is a compacted and graded layer of crushed stone down, don't mess with it. ? ?

In our town there are 2 different types of parkways. ?Those that go between the street and the sidewalk and those that are the edge of someones lawn. ?The space between a street and a sidewalk might seem OK but be careful of utilities. ?While Gas, Electric, Water, Streetlights... are burried well below the surface and all. ?Sometimes Cable TV and Telephone can be a mear 4 or 6 inches. ?I have seen phone lines that are barely under the dirt. ?Less than an inch in some gardens. ? I used to work for a cable company and they often burried part of their cables, "The Drop" just under the sod. ? The guys would come out with a flat shovel and just cut a groove through the turf. ?About 2 or 3 inches. ?Tuck the cable in and done. ? When someone cancelled service or was found to be stealing service, ?The linemen were known to be able to just take the shovel and chop the drop into 6" pieces. ?Also, note that, phone and cable are often, especially with phones, thin delicate wires, as opposed to thick and durable cables. ?

As for the parkways where the sidewalk is along the street, and the grass is part of someones lawn, there is technically amount of space that is public property. ?It is maintained that way for utilities and such. ?However, since it is part of someones lawn, I wouldn't search it. ?You might be legally OK but you don't want to be digging up what has the appearance of someone elses lawn. ?That is my feeling.

As was mentioned, state and national (Federal) lands are usually off limits. ?Some states might allow some detecting with some special restrictions or conditions so always check first. ? Wis, DNR for example has some info on their website that gives an insight for some of the rationale and concerns. ?Stuff to keep in mind whenever searching. ?They allow searching on DNR property but, I think, require a permit, or at least a visit to the ranger. ? For example they mention about areas of vegitation or animal habitat. ?These areas are restricted or forbidden. They say, unless with a special permit, say because you are helping someone find a specific lost item.... do not search them. They say it OK to search play lots, walking trails, camp sites, sand areas... ? ? ? Don't search in dunes along the beaches etc., as those dunes may be part of soil retention or flood prevention. ?Or, ?some wildlife lives in some of those areas, Ie., birds etc., and they don't want people interfering with animal habitats. ? They restrict time of day as they don't want detectorists interfering with other users of the parks. During certain times of year, ?I think from October till ??? ?There is NO DETECTING. ? Items of Archeological or Historical interest to the state are to be turned into the ranger station. ?If determined to not be of historical value, they can be returned to the finder. ?Items of significant personal value.... Ie., jewelry etc., ?are to be turned over to the ranger for Lost and Found. ?If not claimed, they can be turned back to the finder. ? Coins and Currency are the property of the finder. ?

Bike Trails, I would think are OK, as would be bridal paths,(Horses), hiking trails etc. The only places I immediately question are places where there is maintained and maicured lawn or turf. ?Sand and open areas of dirt or rocks.... would seem to be OK as minimal damage would be done during some digging. ?However, take any trash you find with you, fill your holes and leave the area cleaner and better than when you found it. ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread