Just got a Tiger Shark! Arrived yesterday! ( FIRST IMPRESSIONS )

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Just got a used Tiger Shark with the standard coil. Read a lot of the reviews and they were mostly positive but a lot were also negative. Seems most of the negative were because of ground balancing in black sand and or wet sand. Don't know if there is a lot of black sand here on the west coast of Florida cause I have no experience at beach hunting yet. Could a lot of these type problems be frustrated "user" errors or marginal equipment functionality for beach hunting. Gonna give it my best shot and if not satisfied will get a "PI" detector. The PI's seem to be the best machines for beach hunting and dig everything.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just got a Tiger Shark! Hmmm! Hope I made right decision.

LX Kid said:
Just got a used Tiger Shark with the standard coil. Read a lot of the reviews and they were mostly positive but a lot were also negative. Seems most of the negative were because of ground balancing in black sand and or wet sand. Don't know if there is a lot of black sand here on the west coast of Florida cause I have no experience at beach hunting yet. Could a lot of these type problems be frustrated "user" errors or marginal equipment functionality for beach hunting. Gonna give it my best shot and if not satisfied will get a "PI" detector. The PI's seem to be the best machines for beach hunting and dig everything.

A lot of users dial in to much sensitivity and this louses up the saltwater mode. Leave the sens. pot adjustment alone! It is inside and you could confuse it with the Threshold pot. As for it being stable, you have to remember that ALL detectors can become unstable where the black sand and salt is concentrated depending on location. This is why some hunters say their detector is the best and another says they bought a POS. I mainly use my old Excal I or the Tiger Shark, but lately I have been swinging my older CZ20 for the heck of it. If you stay out of the water the best detector IMHO is the Sov GT with the WOT coil.

Good Luck, you didn't make any mistake.
Sandman

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

The Tiger Shark detector has not been known as a very good salt water detector.
Many posts have been made on this and other forums stating that.
They work great in fresh water.

When you decide you dont like the way it works in the Florida salt water think about a PI or a Excalibur to replace it.

Willee

thorny196

Apr 11, 2007
Moyock, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Sand Shark

You should be alright, the north east beaches have more mineralization then Florida beaches but in the future if your not sure about the detectors performance for your area call Tesoro they are very helpful on the phone. Don't e mail them as it will take a while to get back to you (like 6 weeks in my experience) R/Mike

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

if you decide you dont like it let me know I'd luv to have one an will be looking for one soon.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll

iv owned 3 TS's and they are great detectors in fresh water.they will hit a gold chain that most others miss....but they lack depth on salt beach's.about 8" is all i could get on salt beach's.my Sovereign & S12 or WOT coil will hit a dime at 15".my Excal ll at about 12".the TS is well built and as all Tesoro's carry an excellent warranty. after trying about everything out there my Minelab's would be hard to give up.the tone id has spoiled me! and the way they work on salt beach's is awsome .i would like to try the new Dual Field PI from Whites but i fear my age and bad shoulder would do me in digging all those 20" holes for a nail.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dixie Digger you and I am in the same boat when it comes to digging them deep holes anymore when using a PI. I loved the Surf PI Pro, but thought the Sand Shark had better disc.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others

My Tiger arrived today and can't wait to get out and try it. Going to get the balanceing down and use land settings before I hit the beaches. Argggggh! It is heavy but I'm sure that will be an asset in the water searching. I really like the idea of control box being able to be moved behind wrist or in front of "S" curve of handle. Being able to add differant coils will be a big plus also.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Re: Just got a Tiger Shark! Arrived yesterday! Seems "Sweet"

My first impressions: (Used on land only so far!)
1. Quality built
2. Stable w/reasonable discrimination
3. Good depth (air test)
4. A little heavy, but I'm sure that would be a plus working in and under water
5. Versatile: Can mount box under arm, in front of handle or on hip
6. Changeable coils
7. Headphones are uncomfortable, but they are the waterproof style.

Wonder if the headphones could be changed out to something like my Grey Ghost?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you hit the beach with it yet?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread