Just got atp pro, should i get pinpointer or 5x8 coil?

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys my pro finaly arrived the other day , came with the bigger coil , iam reading all these posts about how good the 5x8 coil is
Compared to the stock one, iam debating what would be best to get next , the pro pointer or coil? I started out with an old 70 bounty hunter , ace 250c tek 4000 and now the ATP pro, won't be able to test it out till Saturday , never used a pin pointer in my life but think it might help,

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Phil_R

Mar 27, 2010
Live Oak, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Garrett / Minelab / Whites / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I have an AT Pro with the standard coil and no 5x8 coil... The Pro-Pointer I already had, is more important/useful to me than the extra coil. Of course (just to muddy the water) I plan to add an AT Gold with 5x8 coil this fall.

Apr 13, 2012
Maryville, Tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is tough question...lol. I do not hunt without either one of them with me! The 5x8 coil is a must in those iron infested areas, it is night and day difference from the stock. Now, the pro-pointer is a must for me even though I didnt use one for years because they had not came out yet but after using them you really dont want to hunt with out it. If your doing fine with out the pin pointer then I say go with the coil because if you get the pin pointer you will more than likely never hunt with out again..lol. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need the pro pointer and the 5x8 coil really helps

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say, yes and yes. The pro pointer would be the first purchase and the coil second.
ZDD

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't go hunting without my pro pointer.

Potts

Oct 13, 2010
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd go with the cheap $15.00 Cent-Tech from Harbor Freight using that as a pro pointer and go with the 5x8 coil with a coil protector. That's my opinion..

JASinBTCT

Aug 20, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Deteknix X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pro-Pointer is indispensable. If you can swing it (No pun intended!) the 5x8 coil is worth every penny.

OP
OP
sask hunter

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like both are going to be useful to me , if I could get a smoking deal on both at same time I might be able to "swing it"
Still waiting till weekend to get out and try the pro out , there is a nice old school playground I want to check out , I'll Che k around to see wat both items will cost me to Canada thanx all!!

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just picked up a harbor freight pinpointer today for a backup. For under 20 bucks, I think its a no brainer. It already seems to get better distance than the one that came with my fisher f2. If you didn't use one before, get the coil and use a harbor freight one for now to hold you over until you can get a propointer. The 5x8 coil is hands down the better coil, it balances the detector much better, and seperates beautifully.

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I didn't have a pinpointer I would not hunt coins......The stock coil is deeper than the 5x8 so if you hunt previously detected sites alot I'd stay with the stock coil and get a pinpointer first, even though it is easier to "pinpoint" with the 5x8 than the 9x11.5. Good luck with your choice!!!!!!!!
Paul of Penna

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True, the stock coil will go deeper, but it separates better, so your deeper good signals have a better chance to be masked by trash with larger coils also.

I agree though, I dont think I could ever detect without my pinpointer now that I use one, and the Garrett is awesome.

OP
OP
sask hunter

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I think if I could some how slide it by the wife I might be able to swing both , last year I bought a new bigger led tv hung it back on the wall where the smaller one was and till this day she hasn't said anything lol

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with the pin pointer first and the coil second IMOHO. I bush hunt though, and don't really have to worry about multiple targets very much, I dig them all anyway, good way to learn your new detector. Just remember, don't get frustrated and don't give up, I love my AT Pro.

OP
OP
sask hunter

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to hear all the positive comments on the at pro , 4 more days and I can test it out, had my tek 4000 for only three weeks but did not like it . Had a ace 250 before that , and an old vintage bh from the 70s before that, but seems like the people that don't like the pro hate them!!

petey1231

Jan 1, 2013
Don't get a cheap pointer waste of money the garrett pro pointer is best but 5x8 coil is a must have too - pointer first coil close second

OP
OP
sask hunter

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep never had a pointer for all my years detecting ,but realy upset when a small earring kept on falling through my sand sift , prolly screwed around for 20 minutes before I had it in my hand

OP
OP
sask hunter

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok had a thought to check out local pawnshops today , and would not beleive what was sitting in a showcase? Yep a pro pointer but no sheath, had a $55.00 tag on it and I offered the guy $50.00 cash and he took it , pretty well looks like new with no scratches on it at all , tried it out on my knee as I have a total knee replacement done when I was 33 and it vibrates and buzzed like crazy , so looks like just a coil now for me

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! Like a sign from above!

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After work went out to an old ball park and did some swinging
Dug one hole and had trouble locating a penny. With out my Harbor Freight pin pointer I would not have spotted it. Had to sift through 3 times
My brother has the
Pro Pointer and that is tops if you have the cash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread