Just got home with my new DFX and I have a technical question

bushido

Greenie
Feb 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
DFX
I like to understand how things tick and I'm wondering about something. Am I right to say the DFX is a 2 frequency machine? Here is an excerpt from an ad I found on line...

The DFX "sharpshooter" approach to frequency? Transmit 16 frequencies and process the two most powerful. In the graph above, each spike corresponds to a single frequency, or sine wave. Mark Rowan, DFX Chief Engineer, explains, "Complex signals such as pulses are built up from many, many sine waves added together. The hight of each spike correspones to the intensity of the magnetic field at that particular frequency. More intensity means better sensitivity. DFX has these spikes, also called harmonics, spaced at 6 kHz intervals." Note the strength of the signals at 3 kHz and 15 kHz (in red) the two frequencies that find the most treasure!

On the next page I found this comment....

Multiple Frequency Operation. Hunt in 3 kHz, 15 kHz, or use both frequencies simultaneously. Best Data displays the most reliable target info, or use Correlate to reject iron and other questionable targets.

So what does this all mean? I am new to MD'ing but I understand tech stuff so maybe someone can help me with this. I don't like to flip a switch and go, I rather understand my machine. Thanks in advance...Paul

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
you silly goose ;) get out there and hit the dirt.hands on swinging and digging is a must.I am not saying skip
the manual that's also key.read these forums too you skamp.

never mind mark rowan's fancy talk,it is just to compete with minelab(my personal opinion).
any electronic receiver or transmitter generates two or more frequencies then mixes them to oscilate
the desired frequency (I.F. intermediate frequency)to rx or tx.a good police scanner would be triple conversion
(mixing two or more freqs 3 times)for a more stable noise (rf) rejecting receiver.run a radar detector in virginia
and the police can pick up on these oscilations or mixing of frequencies on what one would think was just a receiver.the dfx transmits (tx) two freqs(or one depending on setting)in wich white's engineers deemed best for treasure thru the coil.any harmonic or stray rf is from inside the shielded box or cable.hey I could be wrong but that,s probably why I never went for a ham license :-X .

Attachments

• needles.JPG
    needles.JPG
    1.8 KB · Views: 286

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Go to the White's web page and watch the DFX video instruction.

I think it's the last one called "technical notes" or something. I just got a DFX as well. I agree with solx. Take it out and play with it.

It's fun to use after you get used to it. The first thing you should learn is how to save the settings you like. Then take it out and dig up some booty! ;)

You can adjust it and save settings "in the field".

Keep us posted on your progress. HH.

Ridley

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX does operate in both 3 and 15 khz . In best data they operate independently.

In corrolate they operate together to see if both 3 and 15 freq agree.

Or, you can hunt in either of the two freqs separately.

3 hrz will be better for silver, and do a better job on the higher end of the VDI scale.
15 for gold and rings, nickles on the lower end of the VDI scale.
Using together in corrolate allows both freqs to look at the target, talk to each other and say, yep I agree with you, it's a quarter.

Reading DDWDFX by Jeff Foster will explian it all. I read the book several times and have learned plenty. www.fielddepth.com

You can also learn some stuff here

www.dfxonly.com

OP
OP
bushido

bushido

Greenie
Feb 14, 2007
Detector(s) used
DFX
Thanks Guys!
All three of you have headed me in the right direction. As soon as I post this I will be ordering "UNDERSTANDING WHITE'S DFX" and "Digging Deeper with the DFX". I am working 4 pm to 4 am for about 5 days then hopefully I will be able to get outside and start learning my DFX. I sure hope everybody here will be seeing my name many times to come but I hope it will be pictures of my finds ;D. Thank you again guys for the help...Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread