Just got my Minelab X-terra 70

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
Picked up my Minelab X-terra 70 last week. Bought it from www.metaldetector.com in Southboro, MA. Dan (the owner) is great. Got a terrific deal. A LOT better than the other dealers in CT or MA.
Wow, what a machine. Been using the DFX for years. The DFX drives you nuts on iron infested areas, even in the discriminate modes.
The X-terra 70 has a nice discriminate, nulling out on iron where the DFX sounds out at times as a good signal, identifying iron as a quarter.
The X-terra 70 in discriminate is different than the DFX. The 70 gives a little "chirp" on good items, whereas the DFX gives a wide solid tone. Will take some getting used to.
Depth wise, the 70 seems to go deeper than the DFX.
In the few hours I used it, found a silver dime, silver nickel, 2 buffalo nickels and 3 pieces of 14K jewelry in areas I hunted out with the DFX.
And it's light weight and powerful. The only thing Minelab could improve is the depth reading. Give the depth in inches please.

windrun

Oct 30, 2007
Eudora, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50
That is so wonderful! I bet you will love the Minelab x-terra 70! I tried that one at the dealer and I really like it. I will start with Minelab x-terra 50 for beginner and learning, then I might trade with x-terra 70 later.

Richard

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice writeup. Minelabs discriminate out iron like no other machine made. Yet they find the gold, silver, and copper hidden in with it.

I used to use only Tesoro but they're like Whites and Fisher when it comes to iron. With my Sovereign GT I could hunt in high trash areas for 10 minutes without digging a single target but suddenly it would sound off on a coin. Back when I used Whites, Tesoro, Nautilus, and Fisher, I dug a hole about every 2 minutes. Most usually it was a rusty nail of some such thing.

Badger

findit

Jul 1, 2007
not knocking minelab i have a sovereign, how do you know for sure you have not missed a masked target. but if you dig every two minutes you will then know for sure jmo. i like to dig everything but that's just me. leaving no stone unturned will leave no doubts in your mind.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
findit said:
not knocking minelab i have a sovereign, how do you know for sure you have not missed a masked target. but if you dig every two minutes you will then know for sure jmo. i like to dig everything but that's just me. leaving no stone unturned will leave no doubts in your mind.

Depends what your definition of digging everything means. If I did that at most of my sites I would find less by wasting too much time.

geckokid

Aug 4, 2007
Delaware, USA
Detector(s) used
Eldorado
My understanding is that the X-Terra 70 only has Iron masking in the prospecting mode (all Metal), not discrimination mode? And does it pinpoint well in discrimination mode?
How deep does this Minelab go?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
findit said:
...I have been useing ..Sovereigns.. since 1992 and like the ..Badger ..says for the most part if it does not sound off if you hit junk..I love the..Sovereign.. by sound i know what to dig and you can hunt for some time with out a sound but when it does sound off you know you have something good..==Jim==

OP
OP
midas777gold

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
geckokid said:
My understanding is that the X-Terra 70 only has Iron masking in the prospecting mode (all Metal), not discrimination mode? And does it pinpoint well in discrimination mode?
How deep does this Minelab go?

The sounds nulls on most iron BOTH in discrimate mode and prospecting mode. Some deep iron though gives a good signal until you dig down close to it. Discrimate pinpoint is useless. so, I switch to prospecting mode to pinpoint. As to depth, depends on what sensitivity you run at. At factory presets, it will detect a nickel about 8 inches in disc mode. In prospecting mode, I've dug nickels and other coins at depths approaching 20 inches. I've found it to be super sensitive to aluminum foil at low disc settings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread