Just how many people quit on average?

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Still deciding IF I want to try again
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For those who say never give up, never surrender. You have not tried to hunt in NC! I have spent hours in the library, talking to people, knocking on doors, posting flyers, offering free property scans and as always, the answer is no. You also have ssstupid laws, ordinances and clueless people to contend with. It's no wonder new detectorists give up so quickly.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who say never give up, never surrender. You have not tried to hunt in NC! I have spent hours in the library, talking to people, knocking on doors, posting flyers, offering free property scans and as always, the answer is no. You also have ssstupid laws, ordinances and clueless people to contend with. It's no wonder new detectorists give up so quickly.

Wow, I didnt know it was so guarded in NC...I see people from there posting on here all the time... Carolina Tom post his finds daily

..I do like the whole " Free Property Scans"..lol...I might have to try that one out here

Last edited:

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, maybe not ALL of NC. But it is tough hunting in and around the Fayetteville area. I KNOW why I am not successful in getting access to good places to hunt. It's not a lack of research, rather an over abundance of pigmentation on my behalf. That is about as PC as I can get.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, maybe not ALL of NC. But it is tough hunting in and around the Fayetteville area. I KNOW why I am not successful in getting access to good places to hunt. It's not a lack of research, rather an over abundance of pigmentation on my behalf. That is about as PC as I can get.

Town parks and schools are paid by your tax dollars, grant it, it's not private land..but you have every right to hunt these locations as well as the banks of navigable waters..I don't want to go into my riparian rights rant, but there is a multitude of locations you can hunt, meanwhile asking for permission to hunt private lands. What I always do when I ask permission is I say if I find any gold it's yours, and everything else is mine. .it turns many no's into yes' s

And I live in one of the most regulated states in the union..and I still haven't hit all the spots I want.

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the list of places that taxpayers provide. I have hit those places...hard for lack of private areas to search. I have upgraded my detectors to go deeper for more targets. As for the schools, they were made off limits for the "safety of the children". Even on the weekends. The head of security said "yes, if you go on any school property without having a student enrolled, you are subject to arrest". I WILL NOT search an area that will have me detained. There is a city near me that banned detectors but did not post signs, regulations or ordinances online. I discovered this when I was told by the officers to leave. So even taxpayer funded places around here are off limits. So if I get the itch to hunt, which is getting less and less, it's off to the local tot lot or take a 2 hour drive out to the coast.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just not right for what the security guard said. .I understand you not wanting to be detained. .If I was in your shoes, since I like confrontation when supposed laws/rules are bs I would push the issue, bring up at a town council meeting to state my case..public officials do not like their feet to the fire, especially when I amongst fellow citizens. .it's just my .02 , that's just me

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again, I'll stop here as I don't want to hijack this thread and "make it all about me!":laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! I can't believe a Minelab xterra was even compared to a bounty hunter!!! Now I've heard everything!!!

sent from a potato with gravy!!...

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not go to walmart to buy a metal detector. There is a fine detector store up here in Golden Colorado where the employees actually do metal detect and will teach you a little about the detector when you buy one. (That's all the plug y'all get for right now) I got a high dollar White's and a low end White's, but I have nothin against other brands, as there is a lot to be said about knowin your machine. I had treasure hunters in my family, but I never got into it expectin to get rich. I find somethin every time I go out, but not much to write home about. Surprisingly, the cheap White's has paid for itself about five times over in face value coins, not counting items with silver or gold content. The high dollar one is still kinda draggin *ss on payin for itself. Fine, cause I never bought them expectin to get my money back. To make real money in treasure hunting, I should write books about treasure tales, maybe open a detecting store, make DVD's about Jesse James' hidden treasures (Well here we are in Kansas and didn't really find much here, but I have proved ole Jesse was here) or invent a secret decoder ring for KGC maps.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maryland encourages a program called Open Space, they encourage you to go the schools on the weekends for exercise, now Delaware locks up the schoolyards like Fort Knox on the weekends in some areas. I know some people do not want people digging on their propertys at all, I had relatives tell me that out in the mountains of West VA. and Tenn. I have always detected on dumb luck by trying woods and fields with no sign of human life in the past other then trails and tree carvings. It is hit or miss, mostly miss, but sometimes you find a off the history book area that is good.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad they quit. We get enough trouble with the few we have.

Rginn was right about Wally World. Maybe you should know how they pressure the vendors out of most any profit. You can look at for instance an appliance say a toaster and find the tag says made by GE for Wall mart. Does that mean it' extra good to meet Wall mart's specs. NO! It's a below grade to meet Wall mart's vendor requirements.
If you want a tuneup read Sam Walls biography.
Predatory capitalism. (not the books name)

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad they quit. We get enough trouble with the few we have.

Rginn was right about Wally World. Maybe you should know how they pressure the vendors out of most any profit. You can look at for instance an appliance say a toaster and find the tag says made by GE for Wall mart. Does that mean it' extra good to meet Wall mart's specs. NO! It's a below grade to meet Wall mart's vendor requirements.
If you want a tuneup read Sam Walls biography.
Predatory capitalism. (not the books name)

Most generic foodstuffs that are sold and some appliances too, are manufactured by the same company, just a different marketing package......You could have the top shelf machine, which doesn't mean jack, if you don't do your research...a MD'er with a lower end to middle of the road machine who put research time, Will always out perform somebody with a top shelf machine, who put minimal research in...
I am going to using a fishing phrase that could equally apply to some people who take up this hobby, in the fly fishing world we call people who buy everything Orivis "Orvis Cowboys" and they cannot make a simple roll cast, same applies here.."Minelab Cowboys et. al."...or some people call them "Gear Q's" (not going to use that word and have Jeff rain on my parade..lol)

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Whites Coin Master till about 2006. Always had fun finding stuff with that detector and still own it. The Bounty Hunters are great detectors. I doubt if some Wallsmart employee would know about detectors though?

Fourwayz

Jun 18, 2007
Out Biking
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that Bounty Hunters are great detectors. Especially when your budget is limited or getting started in the hobby. I have encountered many people who work at Wal Mart and are detectorists making extra cash to buy the latest and greatest. I started with a Garrett 150 ace many years ago and owned a BH Landstar. BOTH machines paid for themselves through finds and most importantly experience. I don't discount anyone's choice of machine as I enjoy hunting and will take the time to help set beginners on the right path. Who knows, that beginner may know of a great place to hunt with permission!

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa started my out in this hobby with a bounty hunter land star he would take me to the park and we would find about $2 in clad every time he would take me when I was 10 now I am 20 I bought a bounty hunter quick draw 2 when I was 16 because I knew the bounty hunter land star would find coins and so now I have found silver coins and a ton of relics and stuff.

Now that I paid off my bounty hunter quick draw 2 I have purchased a Garrett at pro and I love that machine too. I also passed down my bounty hunter quick draw 2 to my sister she is 16 and she loves it also I would say its a great starter machine and will pay for it's self

Last edited:

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Whites Coin Master till about 2006. Always had fun finding stuff with that detector and still own it. The Bounty Hunters are great detectors. I doubt if some Wallsmart employee would know about detectors though?

I have a Coinmaster that I still use, a rugged machine that never fails. Now I use the MX5, but take the coinmaster out for a run once and awhile

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
True story. Edward Weston was a great American photographer throughout the first half of the 20th century. His photographs were stunning. So much so that his photos of vegetables were considered too sexual to publish. Ya sexy veggies.
Some criticized his work saying it's because he can afford expensive equipment. He took heart to this and with a five dollar lens took groups of equally fine photos just to prove to the critics that in the hands of a master a five dollar lens is fine enough.

I know it's easy to think that with a lesser detector we might be missing something. It's tempting to stretch the budget and buy the better one. But there can be also an ego factor. Like seeing someone with the expensive cameras with all the lenses and thinking "He must take great pictures." Not so.

I think I'll erase my detector from my profile. Not because I don't like it but I see it's listing as mostly about one upsmanship Who's is bigger, more expensive, or more of them. I'll listen if you think I'm wrong.
Detecting is also not my usual hunt.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doesn't matter about what brand md you have.Like many things its only as good as the hand that its in.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Bone Valley, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter about what brand md you have.Like many things its only as good as the hand that its in.

Spot on!..The only thing I really splurge on is fishing equipment because I fish tournaments..I mean who in their right mind would spend $900.00 on a fishing reel...I have 3..lol
VS100S.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread