jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I know that this is "Today's Finds" forum, but I didn't really know where to post this except here. I have found some iron objects that I would like to preserve, but they don't really need electrolysis as there isn't much build-up to be removed I just don't want them to continue to rust away. What Could I do to prevent further rusting and keep it as it is now?

Thanks in advance....

HH

Upvote 0

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since you didn't get any replies yet, I'll be the first to chime in. Depends how big or small the items are. So generally speaking, dip them in oil should work, and just wipe off the excess, or spay the items with some type of clear sealant should preserve them............Rich

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help, Rich. I'll give it a try. I like the rusty look on some relics. I know it sounds crazy, but I think it looks a little better sometimes.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not heavily rusted Apple cider vinegar works great. Just put the items in a container of ACV and let them sit. The acid in the vinegar will slowly eat away the rust. Take them out every so often and brush them gently. You may need to change out the ACV occasionally as well. Just keep doing this until you're happy with the results then you will have to treat them with a product to keep from rusting again. When my terrible memory allows me to remember said product I will let ya know lol

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If not heavily rusted Apple cider vinegar works great. Just put the items in a container of ACV and let them sit. The acid in the vinegar will slowly eat away the rust. Take them out every so often and brush them gently. You may need to change out the ACV occasionally as well. Just keep doing this until you're happy with the results then you will have to treat them with a product to keep from rusting again. When my terrible memory allows me to remember said product I will let ya know lol

Once again, thank's for the info. I know what you mean when it comes to memory. I'm only 35 and I can't seem to remember anything, lol.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure Net is a huge site!
Getting loose rust off at least and moisture out and keeping it out helps stabilize. Some threads mention a wax dip to treat some objects forcing moisture out.. Probably a double boiler used to melt wax.
I put a link to cleaning and preservation forum below for you to peruse at your leisure.
Happy Hunting.

Cleaning & Preservation

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread