Just never know WHAT YOU'll FIND

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A very interesting story & finds. Fri 4pm went to one of my dump banks to dump $750 of dimes. Approached coin machine, of which it had two items in the customer reject bin. Pulled them out, one foreign coin Gr Britain, the other was what appeared to be a copper coin inside this small hand made flip wrapper with the numbers 1901 on it. Right away I was thinking, hum 1901 brown IH cent (pic #1). Then I started thinking, if this IH was dropped by accident into the coin machine while still in its flip, what other coins could have gone thru the machine as valid coins. But this banks coin machine is the very LARGE CAPACITY, that you can't buy like you can with BAGS. However there is a possibility that some of the coins fell into the INTERNAL JUNK & SCRAP BIN, which is located inside the machine.
Upon dumping my $750 of dimes, got my cash voucher & took it to teller. I then asked if by chance I can have the contents of the INTERNAL SCRAP bin. Sure, no problem cuz they automatically throw away ALL CONTENTS of the bin, put it all in an envelope which is very very dirty, (pic 3) of envelope of junk, (pic 3) shows all the junk together with coins of all sorts, stuck together with gum, sticky pop, etc,.bent foreign. After sorting out the junk vs coins (pic 4) turned out to be a big pile of reject coins, for one of several reasons. Yes, if you look closely at the pile of coins, you will see on the beaded key chain with a 1947-D GW quarter (pic 5 & 6). What luck, after all this, the GW silver was almost the best thing that came of this. Not so, because if you remember that brown coin in the hand made flip turned out to be a very good 1901 IH cent (pic 2 obv & rev). [ ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705521.362146.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705546.307434.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705575.516282.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705600.792405.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705621.660334.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705648.732169.jpg ATTACH]1487028[/ATTACH]
Could this be a sign of GREAT AG weekend? Don't know how much face value all the coins turned out to be, maybe later.
And NO, there were no older coins (like the IH) to be found, but who knows they might show up in the future in some of our boxes.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705443.464924.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1503705443.464924.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRH_Mano

Aug 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
today was the first time i saw the internal bin, my friend from high school was the teller who was helping me, I found a few coins but nothing valuable, BUT NOW IM GONNA CHECK EM!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
the little flap with 1901 written on it was weird

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandpa used to wrap coins in tape and mark them like that. He even put tape on dollar bills and would write "happy birthday" or "have fun at college!" and give them to his kids as gifts. Great finds!

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
the little flap with 1901 written on it was weird

Nothing special, like a "post it note" cut down to size with scotch tape over it. Was very dry and crisp like if it was on the coin for a very long time (like years).

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a bunch of idiots. Do people really think they can just throw anything in the hopper and they will get paid for it? (less 10% of course)

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What a bunch of idiots. Do people really think they can just throw anything in the hopper and they will get paid for it? (less 10% of course)

I really don't think that the person had purposely dumped the IH cent thinking that it would get counted. After all, look at all the other junk garbage, even a bullet shell casing. At least I got a silver quarter on a beaded key chain out of the deal for my effort. Have to remember that this is the same machine that I found two gold men's rings with stones, on two separate occasions, so I'm not complaining.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One option you might have is to leave a bucket with them. Ask them to dump the contents in the bucket every time they empty it and you will be by every so often to swap that bucket with a clean bucket.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For those who think that "ITS NOT WORTH IT TO ASK", but in the pile of coins with the junk, there was a total of $8.29US & $1.20Can, plus a few foreigners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions