Just not happy with wood long scoops

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an engineer, I'm a pastry chef, so I need somebody to blow holes in my idea...

Wood and metal long handled scoops are heavy! A long day on the beach can leave you with a sore shoulder. I've tried a couple different things but just haven't found one I'm 100 percent happy with.

But one idea keeps coming back to me...

Carbon fiber.

I know it will shatter when flexed...think Indy cars hitting a wall. But my idea is more along the lines of carbon fiber wire (for lack of a better term). If your familiar with the cables on a suspension bridge you will understand. Many thin strands of carbon fiber tube held together with a sheet of canon fiber or Fiberglas.

Any thought?

Upvote 0

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EXPENSIVE! But to me, the worst part is that after the shaft starts wearing, you will get carbon fibers in your hands, or if used with fiberglass, then glass fibers in your hands. Not very nice, especially when mixed with salt water. I think there are some carbon fiber handles on different kinds of tools, but I wouldnt like to use them.

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I'm with ya on this one. I have a sore shoulder and tennis elbow from this hobby. We really need light weight scoops. I really don't think carbon fiber is the answer. I would love to try a Titanium scoop. I think that would be pretty trick, not sure how well it would do in heavy surf though. You really kinda need something with some weight in surf. Also don't know how Ti would how up in salt water. Sure would like to try one though.
DC

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
47thelement and all wooden handle users there is a new handle being designed and will be tested in the next few months.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Someone that was an engineer posted a while back that carbon fiber shafts would not work with the leverage action of the scoop. Had something to do with the way carbon fiber is wound.

If you are using your scoop in the water you can attach a piece of swimming noodle to the shaft to give you some buoyancy taking the weight off. I drag my scoop, wet sand or water hunting I use a tether with the noodle so I don't have the weight problem of a heavy scoop all day.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CF shaft would also give a serious balance problem. When I carry my SS scoop, I can carry it at a balanced spot so the weight is about equal to the front and back of my hand. If you put a CF pole on it, all the weight would be at one end. It may not seem like much of deal, but carrying it all day would cause a lot of strain on your hand and forearm.

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw on one of gravediggermax's videos of a friend of his that had a belt mounted hook on his left hip. He put his digger on it balanced and kept his left hand on the handle. Takes the weight off your shoulder. Me I just have my homemade tough PVC digger. I just drag it along behind me leaving grid lines ;)

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Element

scoops can kill us.

i have had many scoops.......from like 4lbs to 8lbs, but around 95% of them were just about 5lbs.....not tooooo bad.......

alum. handles i had to paint like 6 or 8 times to keep from bleeding thru. THEN my buddy sharkhunter put 1-1/2 shrink tubing on this alum. handle and that was the REAL DEAL.........great grip and no bleed.......i have it on my 1 remaining alum. scoop now.

last week i got two scoops in from Stavrscoops.......Ruslan in the Ukraine, took 13 days for them to get here.......I LIKEM @ just a shade over 3 lbs with my ash handle added.......really beats the heck out of 5 to 6lb. ........my shoulder says....THANK YOU.
f y i only

Attachments

• DUO1.jpg
    DUO1.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 537
  • WEIGHT2.jpg
    WEIGHT2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 558
  • WEIGHT.jpg
    WEIGHT.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 557

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that for weight and endurance, aircraft-grade aluminum just can't be beat. I have a RTG 'Monster' 8" scoop, and it is just about the lightest huge scoop you can buy for under $170.00. Honestly though, a big stainless steel scoop on a wooden handle probably only weighs 1.5-lbs. more. Exotic materials and the labor it takes to put them together equals BIG bucks! :thumbsup:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheGeorgiaCanuck

many years ago when we used big S/S and alum. scoops we used scoop draggers i called them, made them from many things and when we went to alum. scoops we made them bigger in dia. to keep from rubbing on side of shorts or pants.
they have gone thru. many changes over the years.
some drag, some tote and most just carry on there shoulder.
3 or 4 lbs is not bad on shoulder, but above that........for me, i do not like it.....
good luck
f y i only

Attachments

• SCOOP1.jpg
    SCOOP1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 599
  • SMALL DRAGGER.jpg
    SMALL DRAGGER.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 615
  • TIMS SCOOP.jpg
    TIMS SCOOP.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 576
  • TIMS SCOOP.jpg
    TIMS SCOOP.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 576
  • SMALL DRAGGER.jpg
    SMALL DRAGGER.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 612
  • SCOOP1.jpg
    SCOOP1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 585
  • DRAG5.jpg
    DRAG5.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 592
  • DRAG4.jpg
    DRAG4.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 580
  • DRAG2.jpg
    DRAG2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 554
  • BARRYS DRAGGER  NEW.jpg
    BARRYS DRAGGER NEW.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 524
  • YELLOW 4.jpg
    YELLOW 4.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 621

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terry

since i had to repair my big S/S steve Proto Type scoop, it has become very heavy.
but it remains the BEST SCOOP I HAVE EVER USED FOR WORKING IN THE WATER and that is where i used it now.
but boy is it heavy.....little over 6lbs.
i love it but it is trying to kill me.......i had to add extra s/s to fix it.

Attachments

• 2ndfix1.jpg
    2ndfix1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 590
  • 2ndfix2.jpg
    2ndfix2.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 616
  • COMPARE3.jpg
    COMPARE3.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 637

mrcolin2u

Dec 23, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II umax
Fisher CZ20
Minelab Excalibur II 10" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to replace my wooden handle with a fiberglass hot stick used for doing electrical work by linemen.
I work for a utility and when they fail the insulation test we toss them. I have a couple of "tossed" I'm going to try out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions