Just on thought on those that dislike finding Canadian dimes...

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I have seen a number of people complain about finding Canadian Dimes in their rolls.

Personally, I like finding them as they mix things up a bit.

If only searching Canadian dimes in Canada were so successful, I would have to make a road trip.

My results from past year.

In 2010:
5 of 138 were silver

In 2009:
16 of 275 were silver

In 2008:
25 of 616 were silver

IN 2007:
14 of 518 were silver

so adding those all up...
60 of 1547 were silver.

Based on those percentages, when I finally find 2500 (or enough for a whole box), I should have around 97 silver Canadian dimes.

I only wish the percentage of silver in U.S. dimes was anywhere near that high. Don't you?

Upvote 0

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
What year did they change from silver in Canada on their dimes?

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Gman,
I find plenty of Canadian Dimes, but few silver. Pre ElizabethII are harder to find than Barber dimes.
HH
Rich

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
jrf30 said:

1966 they were 80% silver.1967 they went to 50%. 1968 part of the year was 50% and the rest of the year was no silver
Rich

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
The few times I did dimes I hated the Canadian dimes because I have no way to spend or cash in the non silvers (all of them I found were non silvers).

The 60 you found are worth about 80 bucks or so at today's prices. Unless you have a way to cash in or spend the approximate 150 bucks you have left over in non silver Canadian dimes, you are losing money (about 70 bucks). It would be cheaper to buy the silver coins at the coin store at that rate.

Am I missing something here?

Jim

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Jim,
There is a web sight that buys foreign coins. Thought I saved it. Someone posted it here.
I've got a roll of 80% and about 15 of the 50% with lots of dime searching.
Rich

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
The few times I did dimes I hated the Canadian dimes because I have no way to spend or cash in the non silvers (all of them I found were non silvers).

The 60 you found are worth about 80 bucks or so at today's prices. Unless you have a way to cash in or spend the approximate 150 bucks you have left over in non silver Canadian dimes, you are losing money (about 70 bucks). It would be cheaper to buy the silver coins at the coin store at that rate.

Jim
What's the problem guys? How did they get into circulation to begin with? People spent them! Some banks also deal in foreign money exchange. They will probably exchange for US moolah.
HH
enamel7

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try http://foreigncoinandcurrency.com. I haven't used them so I have no idea what their fees or service is like. The banks in my neck of the woods won't take them at all.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attribute the larger percentages to two factors-
1. General public does not bother with canadian coins
2. Since they are non-magnetic, they are not culled out by the coin counting machines (including pop, candy, parking meters) and would boost percentages

I don't like canadian dimes so much, they don't cause me much inconvenience because I have a bank that only takes them rolled...I can hide anything I want in them.

HH
-GC

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding canadian dimes, I usually keep them unless they are all mangled. I have found canadian silver dimes a few times.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I enjoy finding Canadian coinage as they all go in jar. When the jar is full, I will take a trip to Niagara Falls and cash them in for a souvenir. The value for me is justifying a trip to Niagara Falls. I love the area and have many fond memories as a boy up there.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I enjoy finding the old canadians, found 14 silver ones Jan-Mar of this year, 1930's, 40's, 50's, and even a 1900. Counter that I use spits 'em out, CU will reimburse me, but I just spend 'em at the drive-thru's a buck or so at a time. The rolls are really short-looking.

ffd

OP
OP
G

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:

Jim

For now I am keeping most of the dimes as I am trying to get 1 roll of each year, but soon I should start having extras. Around these parts, the banks sometimes complain about trying to cash them in, but stores hardly look at 'em. I should be able to just spend them.

Either that, or I'll just save up a bunch of them and bring them with me to Canada the next time I go. I get there every couple years or so, so no big deal.

And with the Canadian Dollar approx. equal to the US Dollar, no big loss there either.

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i save all coins from around the world cuz i think they are cool/interesting...and if i end up needing money really bad i'll just toss 'em in the coin counter at my CU. :laughing9:

greg23

May 16, 2008
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
in 1967 Canada made both 80% and 50% silver dimes and quarters.We here in Canada call it 650 "65%", a spilt between 800 "80%" and 500 "50%" silver.The halves and dollars for the year 1967 were 80%

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
greg23 said:
in 1967 Canada made both 80% and 50% silver dimes and quarters.We here in Canada call it 650 "65%", a spilt between 800 "80%" and 500 "50%" silver.The halves and dollars for the year 1967 were 80%

.......and I believe you, or one of your countrymen, confirmed there is absolutely no way to tell an 80%er from a 50%er; hence they're treated (sold/bought) as a "65%er".

rwb83

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy!!!
Rich Hartford said:
jrf30 said:

1966 they were 80% silver.1967 they went to 50%. 1968 part of the year was 50% and the rest of the year was no silver
Rich

I found a 1961 Canadian dime...whats the % of silver on that one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread