Just ordered a Sand Shark

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the beaches here in New Jersey after Labor Day and decided to retire my old detector and upgrade to a Sand Shark. The beaches I hunt are pretty clean and based on my experience with my other 5 Tesoros, the Sand Shark should produce just as well. It should be here on Thursday. Doing some reading on settings, but if anyone has any suggestions, please reply.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FIRST, go to page 12 in the manual and MAKE SURE you have set your tone frequency to match YOUR hearing the best. Do you hear high or low tones better? Set it to the frequency you hear the best. This will really help you hear whisper breaks in the threshold. Next, set your pulse width to about 3/4 power (2-230pm position). Turn your threshold up to where you can barely hear a hum above the waves and wind noise - like a mosquito hum, and use the machine in NORMAL mode for added depth.

DO NOT just walk up or down the beach in one direction or the other! Pick yourself a 50-yard long beachfront, and start gridding it. You start at the wet sand high mark and detect right into the water thigh-deep, move over a step and detect right back up to the high wet sand mark.. Rinse and repeat until the whole 50-yards or 5-hours is done.

Big Gold!

beckleeson

Jul 19, 2012
West Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
TESORO Cutlass II µMAX , TESORO Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine Saturday about to take it out for the first time here in a couple hours! Enjoy and goodluck 1953 silver & thanks for all the tips Terry!

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips Terry - I usually only go to me knees but I also make some time to check the dry sand as well. I've found a good deal of recently lost items in the dry sand. I'll be going out with it next week and will post my finds.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have mine tomorrow! Going to Avalon end of next week! Thanks Terry for the tips, as always, You da man!! :headbang:
Good luck Mike, beckleeson! We should compare notes once we become familiar with them.

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a plan mortarman. I just saw an email from UPS and they say I should get my Sand Shark tomorrow, pretty cool. Hey you mentioned Avalon, thats Avalon NJ?

I should have mine tomorrow! Going to Avalon end of next week! Thanks Terry for the tips, as always, You da man!! :headbang:
Good luck Mike, beckleeson! We should compare notes once we become familiar with them.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Mike, I'm from Mount Laurel. About 20 mins. east of Philly. I'm a big fan of your videos on Youtube! In fact you helped me make the decision to get my Vaquero.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arggg! I asked my Son for one favor, sign for a package from UPS, you can guess what it was, and he slept through the knocking. Now I have to wait another day for my Shark! I'm depressed :(

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arggg! I asked my Son for one favor, sign for a package from UPS, you can guess what it was, and he slept through the knocking. Now I have to wait another day for my Shark! I'm depressed :(

My son did the same thing a few months back. I did get my Sand Shark today. Very well constructed, well balanced, good solid feel, headphones fit great as well. I had another brand, paid a lot more money, and the headphones were sooooo tight! Looking forward to getting out to the beach next week.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's great Mike! Good luck out there. If I don't get mine tomorrow, my son will have to find a new place to live!

OP
OP
1953silver

1953silver

Jan 30, 2011
New Jerey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Whites, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi silver mike,i am new here.What size coil did you get.I plan on getting a sandshark sometime this winter.I don't know what size coil to get though.I may favor the smaller coil for ease of pinpointing the pi.I had the detectorpro pulse with the 11 and it took some getting use to pinpointing.I will get the treasure wise pi water proof probe next time.over

Hi Chucky - I got the 8 inch coil. I can tell you this is one very well made detector. I can't wait to get out there with it.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the boy came through for me today and my Sand Shark was waiting for me when I got home! It always amazes me how tesoro can put a full size detector in such a small box. I agree Mike, very well made machine. I'll be getting it out there next weekend! I got the 8" coil as well.

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lew, I did read your post and I'm taking Terry's suggestion and putting silicone on the lower shaft as well as the other connections! Don't give up on Tesoro's customer service. It's one of the best in the industry!

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just got back from Avalon and had a great time. I was there for four days and went out a few hours each morning. I alternated hunting the dry sand and wet sand/surf each morning. The Sand Shark performed great! So did my Vaquero in the dry sand. Found the fishing reel about 6 inches down in knee deep surf. And no the ring isn't real, just junk.

goods.jpg junk.jpg reel.jpg

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Been playing with a sand Shark the past week.
It is great and goes deep, is very sensitive and easy to operate.
The threshold seems to be a bit uneven/chatty when set to just audible and vol control at max. Is that normal?

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike -

I have to second Scott's thanks for your videos on YouTube. Your videos helped me select the Outlaw. Good luck with your Sand Shark.

John

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been playing with a sand Shark the past week.
It is great and goes deep, is very sensitive and easy to operate.
The threshold seems to be a bit uneven/chatty when set to just audible and vol control at max. Is that normal?

Yes, if you are maxing it out, which you never should. Your threshold should be around 12-1pm in position, and a barely audible "mosquito" hum in your ears. Too loud, and you'll miss deep targets.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Threshold is at 9 oclock and vol at max. This produces a just audible threshold for my ears. The threshold is a little jittery and in the background I can hear a very quiet constant hum.
Maybe there is a still some interference.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Threshold is at 9 oclock and vol at max. This produces a just audible threshold for my ears. The threshold is a little jittery and in the background I can hear a very quiet constant hum.
Maybe there is a still some interference.

Unless you are hearing impaired, there is something wrong with your machine. At those settings a penny at 12" should blow the earphones off your head!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread