Just Picked up a VX3 locally for $500

jimmyzr1

Jun 12, 2010
Sacramento, Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Ctx-3030, Excalibur sword, XP Deus, 3 Garrett propointers, White's Tdi SL, VX3, 6000 Di Pro SL, Mx sport, Tesoro Tiger shark and more
Ok, so I just picked VX3 that was a "closet queen" in like new condition except the coil had a couple of small scuffs on it. I got it for $500 but had to drive 1.5 hours to get it. So my question is: How do I get out to use it initially? Can I just turn it on and go? or how difficult is it to get it working to find deep coins or jewelry?

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The VX3 is a turn on and go machine. I've dug dimes at 11" with my V3i and D2 coil. If you don't have the manual you can dl from Whites. I think you got a great deal! HH

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean no real offense but you have a large list of Detectors under your avatar .
So it seems , you should know basically how to get the machine to work.

You got a good deal IMO & hope it works well for you.
Def, get or print a manual if you don't have one.
Davers

Amos Moses

May 12, 2014
Southeast Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E trac - Irish
White's TRX
White's M6 (SOLD)
White's V3i (SOLD)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, I couldn't trip and fall over a deal like that! That's a score in it's own! Congrats.

Life's a Garden... Dig It.

Greg407

Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3 - 6x10, 5.3, & 950 Coils

Whites XLT - 5.3 & 950 Coils
Are you in the SF Bay Area? I saw a VX3 for that price on CL last week. I have a VX3 already, though, so I didn't jump on it. It went quickly anyway.

One of the things I did to help me learn the machine in the field is create a contact for the VX3 in my smartphone and added any links that I wanted at my fingertips (manual, programs, forums, etc). Definitely recommend it for anyone learning a new detector. Here's a pic of what that contact looks like on my phone:

Attachments

• image-2653274217.jpg
    image-2653274217.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 86

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the time you would need a gun to get that kind of steal.

I dont know what your environment is like.... but the only tweaking I do is maybe kick up the discrimination sensitivity up to 90. Other than that I adjust my Rx gain for the environment. (8-12). or change the bandpass to help with emi. I may offset the frequency a few points for the same reason. I do most of my dry land hunting in 2.5 khz.

I HIGHLY suggest a good DD coil over the stock 950. The 4x6 shooter DD is what I use for trashy areas. If I am working old plow fields I use the 10x12 SEF (best coil ever IMO).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread