Just purchased an MXT Pro. New to the Hobby. Couple of questions.

Afishy1

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2012
NE Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Love this forum. Have been researching here a few days about metal detecting. Want to give it a try so I have bought an MXT Pro.:hello2:
(Not delivered yet)
I wanted to jump in deep and get the Spectra V3i but after reading much here about it, I figured I would start out with the MXT Pro since it seems to be more forgiving to the newbie. Mine is coming with that 300 coil that is standard when buying one of these. I have read on here that I will probably want to get a different coil for digging in high trash areas. What do you recommend?
I live near the beach in Ponte Vedra Florida and plan on using it some in dry sand but also in parks and such.
Do you have any ideas on places to scout for that will not get me in trouble. I will be breaking my 7 year old into the hobby as well, so I want to keep him interested.
I have many questions but this will do for now. Oh yeah, what was that book people recommended for the mxt and where to get it?

Thanks in advance to any that help me out with my questions.:thumbsup:

Fish

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok fist of all congratulations on your new detector. You got a really good one to start with and I am sure it will make you very happy. The MXT EDGE is the book you are looking for, it can be found all over the net, and in amazon. Anyway My advise is that you buy it and read it, the book wasn't writen for the MXT pro but for the MXT, both detectors are almost twins other than for the tones and the backlight. So what is good for one is good for the second one.

Now to the coil answer, yes you will want a smaller coil than the one you have with the detector. Many coils will work fine, I have got most of them but my favorite is the 10x6DD, it has good targhet separation and it also has decent coverage. The smaller coils like the 5.3 or 4x6DD are good as well but are very very small and it will take a longer time to cover the same area. So my advise is the 10x6DD. Another option could also be the D2 (10"DD) I have it installed in my V3i most of the time, but it will be a bit worse than the 10x6 in trash areas.

As a small advise on your boy (I have a small one also) I would recomend you buy him at least a HF pinpointer so that he is entretained doing something, maybe helping you find the coins otherwise he will get bored to see you detecting and he doing nothing. It's just $17 and it will make him happy.

Also I don't know if you have a pinpointer already but it is a good idea to get one. You will be surprised how much better it is to detect with a pinpointer. HF will work but there are better ones out there, the latest one that came out is the Minelabs, but also the garrett is very good. I perosnally have the Sunray inline probe, and the garrett (that in this moment is out of service and on it's way to repair). The sunray has the advantage that it sticks to the detector and works with the detector, so I consider it a good option.

Ah last thing buy a good set of headphones, you will need them. You will need a set that has volume control since the MXT has no volume option. It is a different world detecting with headphones or without them.

Good luck and HH

OP
OP
Afishy1

Afishy1

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2012
NE Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick response and info norbyx. I have read many of your posts already.
Not sure if the white's bulleye 2 is a good pin pointer but one is coming with my detector.I will look into the 10x6DD after playing around with the standard coil for a bit. I have lot to learn.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The whites pin pointer will do just fine...

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+1 on the headphones

12-30 gold range (but also unfortunately pull tabs)
30-65 junk (but also large gold rings)
65-67 zincoln
77 copper penny
79 clad dime/silver ring
82-83 clad quarter
85-87 silver qtr
92 half dollar/new dollar

Take your time and learn the machine. The sound of the pinpoint is as important as the VDI...and then you factor in the probability bar and the target ID is spot on.

Good luck...you'll love the MXT Pro.

OP
OP
Afishy1

Afishy1

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2012
NE Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Guys. Just purchased the MXT edge from amazon. I have watched many youtube vids and am getting some great info from here. Cant wait to get started.
PS adjustable volume headphones are coming with it. Has anyone ever modified earbuds to use for detecting? Seems they would be less hot than big headphones?

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Afishy1 said:
Thanks Guys. Just purchased the MXT edge from amazon. I have watched many youtube vids and am getting some great info from here. Cant wait to get started.
PS adjustable volume headphones are coming with it. Has anyone ever modified earbuds to use for detecting? Seems they would be less hot than big headphones?

Yes earbuds can be adapted with a online volume control but I don't have problems with the heat so I have never done that.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread