Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: just read Andy's book on the explorer se {WOW}

What was wrong? Maybe swinging the coil over your head? :D That's the only way I can find NOTHING. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Detectorfreak74

Detectorfreak74

Jul 2, 2010
UTAH

My settings were all wrong I had to erase all saved programs it was slowing down the machine and jumbled the depth so Kevin told me to grab my detector and while it is off press power and menu at the same time and hold for three seconds . It will factory reset and the some I dunno but it worked and Andy book taught me to set the settings right :headbang:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

erubio74 said:
My settings were all wrong I had to erase all saved programs it was slowing down the machine and jumbled the depth so Kevin told me to grab my detector and while it is off press power and menu at the same time and hold for three seconds . It will factory reset and the some I dunno but it worked and Andy book taught me to set the settings right :headbang:

You didn't need Andy's book, just had to ask the right questions. So are you in the factory preset or Ironmask? IM is where you want to be.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
erubio74 said:

You didn't need Andy's book, just had to ask the right questions. So are you in the factory preset or Ironmask? IM is where you want to be.

Why is iron mask where you want to be? Even with an Explorer II? I get soooo many iron sounds with iron mask....

OP
OP
Detectorfreak74

Detectorfreak74

Jul 2, 2010
UTAH

I am at 22 IM and my own program for silver coins and rings

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
erubio74 said:

So I tried IM this morning...set it to -6 (explorer II with ferrous tones, using Audio 1). I had been using Coins preset with Audio 1 in Ferrous. It seems, when using IM, sounds are different (ie a clad dime sounds with more various tones and less high pitched). Also, pennies and nickels show in different locations on the screen. Why would this be? What is the advantage of IM? What is the optimum IM setting in trashy ground? Non trashy ground?

Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dbsmokey said:
Iron Patch said:
erubio74 said:

So I tried IM this morning...set it to -6 (explorer II with ferrous tones, using Audio 1). I had been using Coins preset with Audio 1 in Ferrous. It seems, when using IM, sounds are different (ie a clad dime sounds with more various tones and less high pitched). Also, pennies and nickels show in different locations on the screen. Why would this be? What is the advantage of IM? What is the optimum IM setting in trashy ground? Non trashy ground?

Thanks

The sounds are different in conductive and ferrous because that is all you are changing. That is what you selected off the menu. "sounds" to change to ferrous.

-6 is using very high discrimination. I think you want at least -10 if you have the basics of the detector down. I personally use -14 conductive and don't change whether the site is trashy or not. The idea is to get used to the highest sens. - lowest disc. you can run and the detector still makes sense and you do well. This is a gradual thing that takes time and if you were to use my detector in a trashy area it would probably sound like it was broken with all the noise. The reason it's better to stay with the same setting is once you've put the time in to reach that goal setting which works well (and high disc-low sens does when you know it well) there's not going to be a reason you'd want to change. When you REALLY know the detector it's almost like there's very fine line where the iron breaks through and when your ears are good and tuned to that setting you recognize very subtle differences above and below the line and that's what helps you dig more quality targets and leave junk (mostly iron) behind. I spent several years playing and adjusting to get the settings I am most happy with at my old sites in fields, and once there I never looked back. (nothing fancy, just what I tallked about in this post) I haven't changed a single setting in 5-6 years unless it was to deal with interference etc..

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
dbsmokey said:

Thanks

The sounds are different in conductive and ferrous because that is all you are changing. That is what you selected off the menu. "sounds" to change to ferrous.

-6 is using very high discrimination. I think you want at least -10 if you have the basics of the detector down. I personally use -14 conductive and don't change whether the site is trashy or not. The idea is to get used to the highest sens. - lowest disc. you can run and the detector still makes sense and you do well. This is a gradual thing that takes time and if you were to use my detector in a trashy area it would probably sound like it was broken with all the noise. The reason it's better to stay with the same setting is once you've put the time in to reach that goal setting which works well (and high disc-low sens does when you know it well) there's not going to be a reason you'd want to change. When you REALLY know the detector it's almost like there's very fine line where the iron breaks through and when your ears are good and tuned to that setting you recognize very subtle differences above and below the line and that's what helps you dig more quality targets and leave junk (mostly iron) behind. I spent several years playing and adjusting to get the settings I am most happy with at my old sites in fields, and once there I never looked back. (nothing fancy, just what I tallked about in this post) I haven't changed a single setting in 5-6 years unless it was to deal with interference etc..

I didn't change from conduct. to ferrous. I have been using ferrous sounds for weeks. The only change was using IM. It seemed with this change alone that a clad dime sounded different....It was curious to me. Also, dimes, nickels, pennies were not showing on the same location with IM as with Smart mode. I will try changing IM to -10 and see if I can hack it. I am only starting to get comfortable with the explorer. I will note, that I found MORE quarters (clad) today than ever in IM...maybe a product of searching a different place, using IM, or a combo of the two.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dbsmokey said:
Iron Patch said:
dbsmokey said:

Thanks

I didn't change from conduct. to ferrous. I have been using ferrous sounds for weeks. The only change was using IM. It seemed with this change alone that a clad dime sounded different....It was curious to me. Also, dimes, nickels, pennies were not showing on the same location with IM as with Smart mode. I will try changing IM to -10 and see if I can hack it. I am only starting to get comfortable with the explorer. I will note, that I found MORE quarters (clad) today then ever in IM...maybe a product of searching a different place, using IM, or a combo of the two.....

Yes a change in disc. with do that a little based on the metal, and even the ground conditions will change the sound quite a bit on an explorer. I was quite surprised just how much.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Yes a change in disc. with do that a little based on the metal, and even the ground conditions will change the sound quite a bit on an explorer. I was quite surprised just how much.

With such variability, how do you know when to dig then?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dbsmokey said:
Iron Patch said:

With such variability, how do you know when to dig then?

It's a good sound that's still a good sound so there is no issue. Usually it's just a slight change in tone.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
It's a good sound that's still a good sound so there is no issue. Usually it's just a slight change in tone.

Even with gold jewelry? I have much to learn....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dbsmokey said:
Iron Patch said:

Even with gold jewelry? I have much to learn....

Yes, but remember with too much discrimination (Iron mask) it might make some signals not come in as well. You're better to get used to low disc. hearing lots of sounds and let your ears figure it out. Over time it will start to make much more sense.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Yes, but remember with too much discrimination (Iron mask) it might make some signals not come in as well. You're better to get used to low disc. hearing lots of sounds and let your ears figure it out. Over time it will start to make much more sense.

Ok, I am gonna try to train my ears. I am hunting currently in a place where I find mainly iron, aluminum cans and nickels. Does that mean that someone hunted it with disc. to pick out the silver? I hope I can still find some silver with these tips. Thanks IP.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dbsmokey said:
Iron Patch said:

Ok, I am gonna try to train my ears. I am hunting currently in a place where I find mainly iron, aluminum cans and nickels. Does that mean that someone hunted it with disc. to pick out the silver? I hope I can still find some silver with these tips. Thanks IP.

Maybe yes, maybe no, but it sounds like a tough spot regardless. Good sites make detecting seem easy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread