Just realized I am sitting on $500 in copper pennies each worth $0.01

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, folks. I was sitting in my office today, wondering about ways I could scrape together a little more money. Suddenly, a great idea hit me. I have about $500 in face of copper cents sitting right under my desk. I'd put them in boxes and stacked them up, and was even using a pile as a footrest. Anyways, tomorrow I'm gonna cart them down to the bank and get cash for them. They've been there for almost ten years now, and they've only been there so long because I'm a sucker for the sunk-cost fallacy. I should never have saved them. I will never be able to melt them, and I'm not going to wait 20 years for all of those swamp-monster bureaucrats down in Washington to get efficient and eliminate the cent.

-Death&Taxes

Upvote 0

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, you have $500 in savings, no use in cashing it in unless you really need it.

OP
OP
Death&Taxes

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, you have $500 in savings, no use in cashing it in unless you really need it.

All CRHers, businessmen, and investors work off the same principle. If you can make a higher rate of return with your money by changing where it is, do it. I'd make more money owning 10 year Treasuries than keeping pennies under my desk, earning me nothing (in fact losing me some because of inflation.) And owning virtually anything is better than owning 10 year Treasuries. -_-

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, folks. I was sitting in my office today, wondering about ways I could scrape together a little more money. Suddenly, a great idea hit me. I have about $500 in face of copper cents sitting right under my desk. I'd put them in boxes and stacked them up, and was even using a pile as a footrest. Anyways, tomorrow I'm gonna cart them down to the bank and get cash for them. They've been there for almost ten years now, and they've only been there so long because I'm a sucker for the sunk-cost fallacy. I should never have saved them. I will never be able to melt them, and I'm not going to wait 20 years for all of those swamp-monster bureaucrats down in Washington to get efficient and eliminate the cent.

-Death&Taxes
Rhett the rat re 7

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of pennies! Are you saying they're copper, not clad pennies? They must have more in value than face.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are in fact losing value as they sit collecting dust. Still, unless I could use the $500 to pay down interest-bearing debt, personally I'd gamble the tiny percentage the $500 could earn plus the value that will likely be lost to inflation hoping for a run-up in the price of copper. Even if it just got back to the point to where you could get 1.2 cents per, that's 20% and will crush any "guaranteed" return out there.

OP
OP
Death&Taxes

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They are in fact losing value as they sit collecting dust. Still, unless I could use the $500 to pay down interest-bearing debt, personally I'd gamble the tiny percentage the $500 could earn plus the value that will likely be lost to inflation hoping for a run-up in the price of copper. Even if it just got back to the point to where you could get 1.2 cents per, that's 20% and will crush any "guaranteed" return out there.

If copper was worth 10x what it is now, the pennies would still be worth the same thing: $0.01 per. It's illegal to melt them and that won't be changing anytime soon.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
can recyclers tell if it is melted pennies?

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glue them together to make a GIANT metal detector made from pennies. Some MD company would probably pay you thousands for it to put in there company office. Guinness would probable pay good too.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dumped my $300 over a year ago. I realized the same thing. I took them to my CU, I knew there was a member that collected copper pennies. I told the tellers to call him up and that there was $300 coming in. I’m glad I dumped them. Turned that money into silver!

OP
OP
Death&Taxes

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Glue them together to make a GIANT metal detector made from pennies. Some MD company would probably pay you thousands for it to put in there company office. Guinness would probable pay good too.

I'm not very experienced at the arts and the crafts :( Guinness is actually a scam where they charge you a lot of money to put your record into their book.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
You know that right now wheats are worth about 4 cents each. Are coppers far behind?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppers are like .021 last I checked. A little more than double face value.

I have a couple of old shoe boxes that are collapsing of wheats. One day I will check them. Has to be one good one ,,right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread